We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Hi everyone,

We are traveling back to Phuket in 6 weeks time and are going to do a day trip to Phi Phi Island.

We don't want to go by speed boat as we know they don't like to travel between May and October but we don't want to go by slow ferry either!! I have seen on AWD site that they do an Express Boat day tour to Phi Phi, has anyone done this tour or any others that you can share any info on? Anything would be a help.

Cheers, Pete.

Phuket Sail Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Phuket Dive Tours
Boat Tours, Boat Hire, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Phuket Snorkeling by  Offspray Leisure
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Boat Hire, Speed Boats Tours
Phuket Best Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Hello. This must be a hard question as no one has answered you :( Actually it is 5 weeks and 3 days till we go. From You Know Who

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Don't go on the Express Boat. We asked to be booked on the Tour East Speed boat and when our itinerary arrived it said Express Boat. We questioned this and were told that Express Boat & speed boat were the same thing. Definitely not. The Express Boat is an old two storey enclosed/air-conditioned & a third level outside on top. It probably takes 200 or more people. You do not get off at Maya Beach or monkey island/beach. It is actually a ferry full of locals. You do not go to the twin beaches on Phi Phi Don you get stuck at Long Beach on Phi Phi Don for 3 hours+ and the food in the restaurant (open walled non-airconditioned restaurant) is not for human consumption. You don't get to go into the private little beaches or bays like the speed boats do. And the speed boats get there faster even with all their stopping to look in the little inlets etc. Most have triple 250HP motors and they are big speed boat, rather long takes lots of people. Not little speed boats that you may think of. The trip/tour on the Express Boat by Tour East was a total disaster, only savior was teh air-conditioning and shade within the cabin.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Hey Syd, thanks for the info but your about 8 months late mate!! We went on that trip last October but thanks for the info as i am sure others here will benefit from it.

We did James Bond Island with Tour East on our 1st trip to Phuket years ago so we know what there boats are like.. Just check at the start of the post for the date.

Cheers, Pete.

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

We know it was too late for this post, but felt that anyone else searching trip advisor, may benefit in the future. SydTravellers3

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Haha to funny Pete, I read your post and thought you cheeky so and so's, you had been keeping it a secret!!! Then saw it was an old post. If I see a Bongabilla Tshirt I will buy it for you!

Cathy

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Glad we gave you some amusement Cathy hehehehe

There should be more on this forum!!

Cheers, Pete.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Hi Pete - Just saw your original post about the speed boats not operating between May and October. I did the trip in April and was hoping to do it again in July when I take the family there. Why don't they operate then - is the sea too rough? Did you ever find out if there was a good alternative?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Hi Sue,

Yes the seas can be rough this time of the year so its a difficult decision. If your not committed to picking out a day you can check out the weather in the morning as if its good some companies will go.

The safest option would be a ferry then you don't have to worry.

Cheers, Pete.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

Hi Sue,

Please be mindful of the fact that if the sea is rough the passengers of the ferry will all be in side with their luggage. It can get cramped & stuffy.

Also my experience in the past with the ferry service from Phi Phi to Phuket is that there is no limit of passengers they sell tickets to for each trip. CJ

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phi Phi by slow boat!!

The ferry doesn't sound ideal - what I really wanted to do is what I did in April, a day trip visiting a few different beaches and some snorkelling. It looks like I will just have to keep my fingers crossed for good weather!