We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still here report - The last few weeks

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,964 posts
440 reviews
Save Topic
Still here report - The last few weeks

Well it’s only been 3 weeks since my family left Phuket, but for some reason it feels like a lot longer.

Finally I have posted a report in the Krabi forum on our second drive there; we stayed 4 nights again and had a great time with the rellies.

Here is the link for that report.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297927-i9287-k216…

So here is a little rundown on some of the things we have been doing. Finally went to the cinemas at Jungceylon. It’s the first time I have been to the movies in about 12 years. We went for the deluxe double sofa suites, very very comfy.

If you go there Monday to Wednesdays it only costs 400baht a couple for this sofa. (On the other days it is only cost 500baht). Oh the movie was Hancock, pretty good. There were only about 5 other people in the cinema, make sure you stand up for the Thai Anthem!

We also had to extend our visas as we only had a 2 month tourist visa, we had to do this in Phuket Town and it was all very smooth and easy (well for us it was, but not for a couple of young girls who had overstayed their visas and could not understand why they had to pay more money)

We already had all the paperwork filled in as they emailed it to us back in May, the cost for the 30 day extension was 1900baht each. So all up probably took about 20 minutes.

One day we decided to go to Phuket Zoo, we have been to Phuket 9 times over the last 13 years and had never been there.

There have been a lot of bad reports on various forums re this zoo but I thought its time I went and made up my own mind. I scribbled notes re prices etc but have lost them but I’m sure it cost 500baht entry for an adult

To be honest the zoo has many good points and many bad points. It reminds me of the way zoo's use to be in Australia 20 years ago. (Though Adelaide zoo still has some pretty sad areas today and I'm sure there are still other zoos across Australia that are not up to scratch).

I can totally understand why children would love the place and hope the photos will help people make up their minds whether they should go or not. All the animals seemed well fed, the cages, enclosures were clean, the grounds are beautiful and there is plenty of shady areas and drink stops.

All the bird aviaries were a decent size, clean and the birds had seed, corn etc. Some cages could have done with a bit of greenery but that’s about it.

Some of the bad points are the monkeys, gibbons and tigers in small cages. The leopard cage was very small and he is right next to an enclosure of deer. What torment both animals must go through.

I did not have a photo taken with the tiger, only because I was not interested but lots of people are. Is it wrong, I don’t know and I’m not going to judge people who do this, you can have photos with animals in Australia so really no difference.

So there, that’s it, I’m still a bit confused about what I think of this zoo but it could be fantastic with a few improvements.

Now onto our day sailing with Captain Mark from Phuket Sail Tours. This time we were not on the Sakai as she has a broken gear box, we went out on the Tom Yum, she is a traditional junk rig schooner, made of timber and is a beautiful boat, licensed for up to 15 passengers.

We spent the day with a lovely family from New Zealand and after the introductions and talking about sheep, rugby and cricket off we go.

Its not long before those yummy chicken wings come out, freshly cooked by Kia (Ya had the day off so her sister Kia was onboard) We also had those mouth watering sweet nibblies, I forget what they are called!!

Fresh prawns were also bought from a local fisherman.

The scenery on this tour is spectacular and we visited the Ice-cream (my favorite), Bat and Oyster caves, all fantastic.

Lunch was on a small deserted island, what more could you want, sitting on the sand eating prawns, soup, mussaman curry.

It’s just perfect.

After some swimming its time to head off again. The weather was now perfect for sailing, so Mark enlists the help of the young girls and up go the sails.

Everyone decides to just veg out now for awhile, lucky we have Captain Orr to steer us, who knows where we could have ended up. The Tom Yum is perfect for lazing about, plenty of room for everyone. But wait there’s more food, out come the cheese and crackers, then chocolates.

There’s not much more I can say about Marks sailing day, except we love it, it’s the perfect day with a great host and no doubt next trip we will go out sailing again.

Now for some more little add ons to my eating out. We went to Nong Jame restaurant and I had the best grilled prawns I have ever had.

This is just a little restaurant not fancy at all, they have been around for years and we have been going there for 3 years now. My king prawns grilled with garlic&pepper cost 250baht, most of their other dishes are 100baht including the American breakfast.

The restaurant is north of Bangla Rd on the beach side. (Just past the laneway down to Patong Tattoo and Chez Bernard’s etc) There’s a huge open shed like building with 3 or 4 restaurants, Nong James is in the middle.

Finally went to the Green Man Pub just out of Chalong, I think this place would be better at night we went for lunch and were the only people there.

If you’re a wine drinker, their cellar has over 150 wines and they have various theme nights etc. The food was good and prices maybe a bit above average.

Family Mansion 2 is another good place to eat; they are on Rat-U-Thit Rd. I wanted a mash potato fix so off we went; I ordered imported fillet steak with pepper sauce, mash and veggies.

The meat was cooked perfectly and sooo tender. This meal cost 350baht. Garys meal was really nice as well crispy pork with veg & spuds 300baht. Drinks were 65baht for a small tiger and 110baht for Bacardi & coke.

I could go on and on, we have also had some very average meals but to bad, we won’t go back there again. On the whole the food has been great.

Even the KFC, love those wings lol but wont say anymore about fast food!!!

Tomorrow we pick the car up again and will probably take off somewhere off the island for a few days, haven’t decided where yet, maybe Trang or Surit Thani.

We are doing the atv’s again next week with Pennywise, so that will be fun.

We now only have 3 weeks left here, so I’m running out of time lol, need to have boots made, still lots of people to catch up with, I think we need to stay longer.

There loads of photos of meals we have had, sailing and the zoo on the link below.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CathyandGary

We have just returned from 6 nights in Chiang Mai, have not started that report yet but what a fantastic time we had there, so many good things to buy that are now being shipped back to Australia ha-ha..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

Hi Cathy, great report as usual, have a wonderful last 3 weeks before you come back to this cold. Off to read your Krabi report and look at photos. Looking forward to reading about Chiang Mai.

Lee x

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

Hi Cathy,

Yes 3 weeks does seem like ages ago that we were there with you in the Land of Smiles. I wish I was still there with you.

Glad you and Gary enjoyed sailing with Captain Mark even though we were not with you. I'm sad that we missed our day out on the water when we were there but look out Captain Mark there is always next year...

I'm sure you will again enjoy the ATV's. They are sooo much fun a great day out. Are doing the 3 hour ATV tour with Pennywise ( I hope his ankle is up to it). I know Melanie will be soooo jealous that she is not there with you to go on the bikes again. Enjoy the day....

Gee to think that you have only 3 weeks left and soooo much more to do.

I just had KFC myself for dinner go the wicked wings hahaha

Great to hear what you have been up to and looking forward to your next report from Chiang Mai.

Take Care

Cheers

Goody

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for sharing your holiday. Enjoy your last few weeks.

Julie

Ireland
Level Contributor
734 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

Great reporting Cathy! It's great to hear such recent information....especially as I will be in Phuket in a few weeks time!

I suggest you stay for longer, then we could finally meet up in September!!

I have really been studying your Cambodia section on your site, as I am now planning 8 nights there, both Phnom Penh and Siam Reap! You're a star!

have fun!!

Joe

West Aust
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

Hi Cathy

Thanks for the great read. I so wish I was back in Phuket. Keep having fun.

Cheers

Jen

Perth
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the great update on your trip.

Hope you had a good time in Chiang Mai and also hope my trip report helped you out with a few tips.

Cheers,

Stewie.

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

Hi Cathy,

Another great read - you do get around. The day with Mark brought back memories - looking forward to your report on Chiang Mai (already have dosed on the Krabi one)

X Sandy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

I love the sign on the monkey cage ( please dont eat the animals )

Still a bit sad to see the basic cages for the monkeys, a concreate box.

Love all the photos, have been folling your travels since day one.

ps: yes dont mention any american fastfood places again ) ha ha !

Phill

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

sorry that should be (following) your travels, havent had my morning coffee yet !

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Still here report - The last few weeks

HI Cathy

Sounds like your having a great time. It seems to have gone so quick. Looking forward to reading a report on Chiang Mai and am about to settle in to read the Krabi report. Good luck with the boots

Kelly