We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit card fraud

australia
8 posts
Save Topic
credit card fraud

Hi just wanting to know if using credit card in phuket is safe or not

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit card fraud

I am a Brit, and have lived here in Thailand for many years.

I have never experienced credit card fraud here.

I don't say it doesn't exist, but my personal experience, despite what the banks may say is that it is just as bad in UK or Australia (or USA).

Although I have Thai bank accounts I withdraw from Thai ATMs regularly with my UK cards.

Just bring your bank phone number, cos I find they regularly stop my cards for 'fraud' reasons. I have to then call them and answer twenty questions before they reset it.

It has become a bit of a game as they never read the notes on the account before stopping the card, and are now paying me 'expenses' every time.

Come, use your CC card, and Enjoy.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit card fraud

There was some fraud, but the main perpetrators have been caught. At the moment it looks like the major problem are the banks back home, especially the Australian ones, who tend to cancel a cc as soon as it has been used in Thailand.

Belgium
Level Contributor
616 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit card fraud

As a previous poster says, credit card fraud is possible everywhere.

I try to limit the use of my credit card to paying for the hotel or if I travel in Thailand to book plane tickets. Only have used it twice for other things on my first trip, which was some jewelry and electronics, but never since then.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit card fraud

I have spoken to my bank and asked on your behalf they assure me Thailand is certainly no worse than any other country and is considerably better than a lot.

Use usual precautions do NOT ever let the card out of your sight. (I have followed people into back of house areas in restaurants in England rather than let my card out of sight)

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit card fraud

Remember tell your bank you are going overseas & where & for how long so they dont cancel your card when they see an overseas transaction, some banks do it automatically, if you tell them they will make a note on your account. Also be careful where you use it, I dont think phuket is any different to anywhere else scammers are everywhere, i usually use it in a atm thats safe, and just pay with cash withdrawn from the ATM, thats the safest.

melbourne
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit card fraud

My card was compromised in September last year. I only used it at Holiday Inn, Mercure Hotel and Ocean Plaza. They didn't actually use it until January to book flights in India for nearly $3000. I had told my bank I was going so they refunded all the money. Just be careful!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit card fraud

Thailand is no different to anywhere else, our card was used for a $8500 purchase at a jewellers in Sydney back in May and this was a card that had NEVER been used anywhere beforehand.

Im with you Hawk, if I ever use a credit card again it will be only used to withdraw money at an atm.

Cathy

australia
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: credit card fraud

Hi

Thanks you guys some really interesting info will notify bank and maybe just use cash withdrawals maybe the safest..

Cant believe they use cards that have never been used before what mongrels...

People can be real snakes we work hard for our money and save to go anywhere and there are people out there that just scam you ..

We will be leaving on the 5 sept so should have a great time,, hows the weather there at this time...

Can anyone tell me anything about the horizon karon beach resort and spa as that is where we will be staying.

Cheers

9. Re: credit card fraud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 07:23