We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help regarding medications

collie.west...
1 post
Save Topic
Need help regarding medications

Hi to all forum members,

My wife,self and two grandchildren will be visiting Phuket in Noveember.

One of our grandchildren is taking medication for A.D.H.D, The medication being Dexamphetamine

sulphate 5mg and catapres 100mcg, could you please help us with the correct procedure to bring our grandchilds medication with us into Thailand.

We have sent emails to the thai embassy in canberra,also emailed the customs in thailand and had no reply from either to date.

We would appreciate any help on this matter as we don't want to end up in a thai jail.

eagerly awaiting your replies.

John & Deb

Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help regarding medications

Hi signman 20 ...You need to get a letter from your grandaughters Doctor stating that the medication is for her and what the medication is used for.

Make sure the letter is written on a formal letterhead from the doctors surgery and the exact details eg: sulphate 5mg and catapres 100mcg are included.

Keep this letter/medicine in your carry on bag so you have it on hand if you are required to show it.

You will be fine don't worry ...lots of people need to take medications when travelling!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help regarding medications

This page on the medicare site has the info your need

medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/tra…

On that page there is a link to a PDF doc you can print out called a Medicine Export Delaration.

Complete it and carry it with you and the medications. Make a few copies in case customs want to take one for their records (that has only happened to me once).

brisbane
Level Contributor
505 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help regarding medications

Hi..I take medication with me to Thailand all the time..with a letterhead letter from my GP...However I'm a little paranoid duck maybe....but dex is a drug of abuse and, for me only, I would be VERY careful. Mikey

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help regarding medications

I took prescribed medications into Phuket and didn't need any official note whatsoever.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help regarding medications

Hi John and Deb

I too an off to Thailand, but in September. I have 2 daughters, one of which is an anaphallactic, therefore she needs to carry an epipen on her at all times. After 9/11 and all the laws changed about what you could take as carry on luggage changed, I was travelling to Bali and encoutered a problem with the airline regarding carrying the epipen with us. The airline had requested that the epipen be kept in the galley under their watchful eye. It turned out to be quite simple to solve this problem, by getting a letter from my daughters GP, to state that she must carry this injection with her at all times otherwise it would create a life threatning situation. She also wrote a letter that stated all medication that she may require whilst we were away, and this included asthma puffers, and also broad spectrum anti biotics (thaty had not been mixed with water yet). So like i said earlier I am travelling to Thailand in about 4 weeks and I have made an appt with her local GP to repeat this same procedure to cover myself. I am not sure what the laws are in other parts of the world, but I do know that Australia requires that you declare all medication. I have included a link to ACS site with a pdf document that will explain all that you need to know. Once you get the letter from your GP for your Granchild, I am sure you will be fine.

GOOD LUCK, hope this has helped and Have a nice holiday.

TravelGurus_3

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help regarding medications

Sorry forgot to post the link

www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4258

Canberra
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help regarding medications

Apologies to all for dragging up an old thread...

I have ADD and take dexamphetamine daily.

I know that I will need a letter from my psych and a export declaration, but has anyone here had an experience with taking this drug with them to Thailand?

Did you have an hassles? Do sniffer dogs harass you? LOL!

Unfortunately naughty individuals have made it difficult for those who really need this stuff!

Also, I'm a bit worried if I lose it or it get's stolen (more likely). Is this drug as restricted in Thailand as in Australia (shedule 8), and will I be able to get more if I have a script?

Thanks in advance :)

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
458 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help regarding medications

Hi Signman20.

Keep trying the department of immigration in Canberra on their toll free number. You will get through if you follow the prompts. I have found them great to deal with. The Australian Embassy in Bangkok is a joke. I have tried to ring them on countless occasions from within Thailand for advice on visa matters only to be referred to an outside agency who in turn refers you back to the embassy. Like you I have also tried countless emails with no meaningful response to matters raised. i.e. an automated response referring you to the same agency that refers you back to them. It would be great if any other members of this forum could tell me how you can actually speak to an embassy staff member if you are outside of the Bangkok area and not able to visit personally.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
458 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help regarding medications

Hi Signman20.

Keep trying the department of immigration in Canberra on their toll free number. You will get through if you follow the prompts. I have found them great to deal with. The Australian Embassy in Bangkok is a joke. I have tried to ring them on countless occasions from within Thailand for advice on visa matters only to be referred to an outside agency who in turn refers you back to the embassy. Like you I have also tried countless emails with no meaningful response to matters raised. i.e. an automated response referring you to the same agency that refers you back to them. It would be great if any other members of this forum could tell me how you can actually speak to an embassy staff member if you are outside of the Bangkok area and not able to visit personally.

Canberra
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help regarding medications

Bigfish,

the original post is from over 6 months ago. I just resurected the thread to avoid duplicating!