We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

Hi everyone, where are the good beach camping spots on the island, and can you camp on any of the beaches on Phi Phi?

I searched the previous threads but all I came up with was info about group camping tours which we aren't really interested in.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

anyone?

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

There are 2 camping places on the beach that i know of. THey are both on Mai Kao beach (north)

THe one that i take my family to is at a place called "Turtle Cove" it is not real easy to find. They have tents for rent at 200 baht a night right on the beach. The people are very friendly.

I jog so usually when we go, i jog up the beach. about 2 kms further north, there is another place that i believe is called Mai Kao beach bungalows and camping. I think they also have one or two tents. I have never stayed at that one.

I think if you have your own gear, you could camp at any remote spot up in that area.

Don't know about camping at Phi phi. I do know that in high season, when everything is full, people camp at Ton Sai Beach over near Railay just north of Krabi. They are mostly rock climbers there for the great climbing. Maybe you could try to do that over by the rock climbing area on Phi Phi but i would beware of the tides for sure.

Good luck.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

For Phuket, there are also camping areas a the national parks on the north end of Bang Tao Bay (Layan Beach) and on the north end of Nai Yang Beach.

I have no idea if camping is allowed on the beaches - as I have never seen it.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

No camping is allowed on the beaches.

Phuket
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

Another choice for your camping spot is Rang Yai Island. It's a private island and about 15 minutes from Phuket.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

We just got back from another camping trip to Mai Koh beach camping at Turtle Cove.

A little update: some of the signs for Turtle Cove are now missing. (the first one is there but that's all) Directions: turn left heading north on the main road about 2-3 kms after the airport. You go under a green painted arch written in Thai i believe for that first turn.)

Then you will come to a T or Y where there is a sign pointing you right. Then you turn left after a good sized restaurant and that takes you to the beach road.

There is no sign for the campground. you should call Dow and have her and her husband set up a tent for you, and possibly get directions from her.

Phone: 0835500416

They are great people and we had a great time there. This morning, the local fishermen were showing my 3 year old some of the different ways they catch fish.

And Dow brought us breakfast once again.

It's always been a pleasurable experience.

Note the bathrooms had no water this time but they are planning on getting it fixed before high season. She felt bad and brought us water as well as ice last night and coffee and pla ton go this morning.

We love it there. PM me if you need further info.

7. Re: Phuket Beach Camping & Ko Phi Phi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 21:16