We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are headed to Thailand for two weeks in late November. For about 8 days we plan to be in the Phuket/Krabi area. We have never been and feel like we should at least experience the Patong area as we enjoy nightlife but are concerned that we will miss out on much better beaches if we only stay in that area so we were thinking about going to Krabi for several days. Based on the reviews we are considering the Amari Coral for our Patong hotel but had heard that drinks are expensive at the hotel. We are looking for a place with a great pool and decent hotel but are on a budget so I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on good places that deals and a fun pool scene.

Thanks for the help,

eeChi

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

eeCHi- I had a recently visited Patong and wrote down my thoughts on it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k231…

I would stay away from Patong beach for your hotel selection and take a Tuk-Tuk to Patong for your night life.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

Thanks Miken1999,

I saw your post earlier and it is one of the reasons I posted. Sounds like the recommendations are to stay in the Kata / Kata Noi beach areas. Any recommendations on where to stay from anyone? We enjoy having fun and being near the action but want to be able to get away from the chaos.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,754 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

Depends on what is most important to you - nice beach every day or nightlife every night. Heading to/from Patong every night can get very expensive if you are staying in the surrounding beaches. Patong beach isn't that bad to be completely honest, and you can take day trips to the nicer beaches... ie Karon, Nai Harn or Kata.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

There are different ways of looking at it,

I prefer to stay in patong, and have day trips out of there,

and then you are walking distance back to your room for the nightlife,

Its all a personal choice.

australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

Hi have a look at the Kata Palm Resort we stopped here in May with our 29yr old son who is very much into the club scene at home.We all loved this resort our son liked the fact that the swim up pool bar didn't charge over the top for drinks and the resturant food prices were on a par with outside. We only went into Patong twice in 14 days and found that was enough. We think there is enough night life around Kata for us but it is a personnel choice. Have fun working it all out Bez

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

To the north, about the same distance to Patong Beach is Kamala Beach. Not near as packed but also has a lovely beach on the north end of the bay - Much less expensive and a whole different atmosphere than the Patong/Kata/Karon area.

A good reference for that area is www.PhuketGoldCoast.com

And - only a few minute further is Surin Beach - literally takes about the same amount of time as from Patong to Kata Noi Beach.

Surin Beach is famous for its many restaurants righton the sand of the beach and several beach clubs put up by some hotels in the area.

Catch Beach Club - again right on the sand of the beach, has live music every night, ManaThai's Beach club is near by and further down the beach is Pla - the beach club for the "K" Hotel in Patong that runs a shuttle back and forth (maybe worth checking out).

Good photos of that beach and scene there is at:

surinbeachapartment.com/Surin-Beach-Phuket-T…

The area is much more kick back than Patong - but Patong is easy to get to from there.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

There are areas of nightlife at Kata and Karon also, just not the same as Patong, more relaxed feel.

I would rather stay in Patong then hire a bike or car and go to other beaches during the day.

You can go to Krabi from Phuket, a bus would cost about 500 Baht, journey about 3hrs or more, or a taxi for about 2500 Baht and takes about 2hrs.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

I guess you decision might be based on how you like to spend your time and where you would like to spend MOST of your time.

For me, I like to walk out of the hotel room door directly on/to the beach, look out the window at the sea, and even hear and smell the sea (and not hear disco/bar music and smell cigarette smoke). Other things come secondary.

BUT - we all have different priorities.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I might take a look at Kata and Karon. Sounds like there is still some action, its accessible to Patong for a trip or two and might be a better spot for nice beaches. The Kata Palm and Ayara Hilltops both look really nice and the rates are pretty good for the time I am heading there. Tripadvisor is such a great resource.

10. Re: Phuket Advice Needed - First timer wondering about location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 23:18