We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
456 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

My daughter & I are heading off to Thailand in January & staying at Karon Beach. I was reading in recent hotel reviews that you have to pay to use the sun lounges on the beach, about 200baht for the whole day. Can you barter to get the price down if you only want them for a couple of hours or is it a set price. Seems a lot to pay to lie on a chair esp.when I have to pay for 2 people & with the value of the aussie dollar at the moment.

Also can anyone help me with the price of a tuk tuk from Karon to Patong & is it best to pay return fare & have them wait or get a different tuk tuk back.

Is a taxi much dearer?

Thanks

Jacqui

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

hi Jacqui,

Last I heard the fixed price for a sun lounger was 100 baht. I have never heard of the sun lounger chair being negotiable. I think also in their best interest it is an agreement they all have with each other and set by the local district government. I could be wrong and if I am I'm sure I will be corrected.

Yes 200 does seem a bit high. You can always just lay in the sand too for free if you don't want an umbrella. Kata Beach has some Shady area also with trees.

Nearly impossible to find a meter taxi anywhere in the vicinity of Karon or Patong. Much cheaper if you can but doubtful.

Meter taxi's can be found from the Airport and perhaps somewhere else but this is a mystery to me.

I would recommend to just pay for the taxi one way or ..higher a private driver through the hotel for a return trip. Their prices may be more negotiable. Many people also have private drivers that they recommend.

I have used Mr. Chai 086 947 2400 his English is great but sometimes he sends other drivers who I have no idea about. But you can always call him and see his rates as he has about 6 cars and drivers and runs a small operation in Kata.

Have a great trip!

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

They were asking 200 baht at Patong beach when I was there in July. No discount, even when they were all unoccupied. We just lay on the beach, as we only ever stayed for a couple of hours on any day, but you know, we were the only ones that did. Everyone else paid for a lounge.

We got Patong-Kata return for 600 baht (his opening offer, seemed fair at the time, we didn't haggle) in a nice car with the driver dropping us off and coming back to get us at a set time (2 hrs later). Which is pretty funny as we got a tuk-tuk for 4 hours for 400 baht (longer if we wanted, same price).

Personally I like to book the return journey as I don't like my chances haggling at night when they know I want to get back.

They have mobiles if you want to be picked up earlier, and you don't have to pay till after the return journey.

preston
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

Hi Blondie just got back from Karon 2 weeks ago, great time! tuk tuks to patong about from 400 bahts to 500 bahts depending how far round the one way system you wanted to go, not bad if you can split it with other travellers. As for the sun beds we got them everyday right across from our hotel the Andaman seaview, the girl will give you a ticket which makes me think they are run by the local council/district, still not bad value for the whole day and if you have to leave to go and have lunch or go round a few bars or shops leave your towel wave to the girl and say see you later and your chair will be waiting for you. To be honest you will find things very reasonably priced so don,t worry about your budget just go and ENJOY, I,m going back in April. Joe

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

Hi Jacqui

we didnt pay more that 100 bht for a lounge at Patong, Naiharan or Yanui beaches...

Tuk tuk from Patong to Yanui which is near the cape and return for about 5 hrs was 800 bht

cheers

Chelle

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

I have a problem with posts like this.

Firstly it is extremely unlikely you will barter for anything as barter means exchange of goods/services etc WITHOUT the use of money....so unless you are thinking of offering them whiskey or something I'd forget it.

I assume you really mean "bargain" or "haggle"

This brings me to to problem no 2 - If you have to ask you probably can't haggle anyway because the answer is you can ALWAYS bargain or haggle for ANYTHING, ANYWHERE in ANY COUNTRY. If you are unaware of this how will you suddenly start doing something that really is 90% instinct in the first place?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

If you're accommodation is still nebulous, the Le Meridien Phuket Beach resort is just up the road from Karon beach and has its own private beach and you don't have to pay for sun lounges. Also tuk tuks to and from Patong (Holiday Inn) cost us between 120 and 170 baht depending on the time of day.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

Actually some things are not always negotiable and I think you would find it difficult to get a beach chair for less then 100 baht. An agreement they all have with each other...

Le Meridien Does have free beach chairs but only for their guest and I think you have to have the right colored beach towel to get the chair.

However the beaches are not private so I am sure you would be allowed to be on the beach no problem.

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

I've bargained and bartered all my life, and while not the best (I've worked with the best) I know that everything is negotiable to a point - BUT you have to know what you want and see how you can get it. I think some things are simply not worth the effort but if you are going to use the chairs every day - do a deal;if they won't budge on price (and they need a reason) try for "extras" if you want a special place - do a deal; if you like a special chair - do a deal. You MAY find that BARTER works better - try whiskey (if not Muslim), pair of shoes??? Whatever it takes - you have to be the judge.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

Thanks everyone for your help.

Khunwilko,

I am sorry I used the wrong word, I just wanted to know if the sun lounges were a set price especially when someone just said they only had to pay 100 baht at Patong but I've heard other people paid 200 baht at Karon Beach.

I live in AUSTRALIA & we don't HAGGLE in AUSTRALIA thats why I asked.

Now I know not to haggle for a sun lounge and therefore I won't offend anyone.

Chonburi
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bartering for sun lounges & tuk tuks

Mate - As a 50% banana-bender (3 generations) I can guarantee you they haggle in Australia! This is the point I'm making if you don't do it at home (or THINK they don't do it) how can you expect to do it anywhere else???