We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manop the driver

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
293 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Manop the driver

Manop was recommended in the forums here. I contacted him and he promptly gave me a quote for round trip transfer and a day of travelling around the island. It was 500 each way to a Karon beach hotel and 800 for a day-trip.

When we arrived in Phuket, we found a man holding a sign with my name. I thought this was Manop, but it was his assistant. He said Manop would be there in 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, he said Manop was having car trouble. I know he was lying. After 20 minutes of waiting, I was starting to get impatient to the point where I was about to say 'screw this' I'll find my own driver. And then Manop shows up. He gives us an informative tour on our way to our hotel. He was late because he thought that it would take awhile for us to get our luggage. I have status with Thai airways, so my luggage was first to come out. I did not like waiting.

The daytrip. We had an agreed upon schedule of activities. We brought out beach wear and towels, and he looked surprised and said this is a city tour not a beach trip. I was kinda mad, because I hired you for the day - just take me to where I want to go. Here is the list:

1. karon beach

2. kata beach

3. kok chang

5. promthep cape

6. rawai beach (he forgot to take us here)

8. chalong temple

9. Phuket town

10. Patong

He forgot to take us to two places; the Big Buddha and Rawai beach. He said he would take us on the way to the airport, but this did not happen. He also dropped us off at the malls to do shopping when we were looking for local markets. He also dropped us off at the mall to eat lunch... wtf... We were looking for a great lunch meal. Although one good thing he did was bring us dessert that my gf was craving.

The return trip to the airport - No Manop. He had his friend take us to the airport. This driver didn't take us to any of the places that Manop said he would make up. And upon leaving, he claims that we're suppose to pay him 600. I was like heck no, 500 with a small tip. We go back and forth. I'm about to show him the emails and then he backs off. I was kinda pissed that Manop didn't show up. I hired Manop, not his friend.

Overall, Manop is a busy guy. He tries to juggle too much. He dropped us off at the mall so he could run an errand or do a quick pickup. He is a nice guy. He did tell us that he gets vouchers for gas money for various tourist spots. We stopped by a cashew factory and we just ate the samples. I would have been happier if he wasn't late and took us to the beaches and let us relax.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Manop the driver

its thailand allbutt, not the states

how can u squeeze all those trips into one day ?

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manop the driver

In fairness that is a lot to do in a day, as for the no shows, thats common these guys are busy & do try to handle too much, sounds familiar lol

singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Manop the driver

we used his service on our recent trip, round trip airport he was on time & for the 1 day tour he brought us wherever we wanted to go, no problem, he did tell us he's holding down 3 jobs so maybe that's why he's slipped up, overall we're happy with us, cheers!!

singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manop the driver

we used his service on our recent trip, round trip airport he was on time & for the 1 day tour he brought us wherever we wanted to go, no problem, he did tell us he's holding down 3 jobs so maybe that's why he's slipped up, overall we're happy with him, cheers!!

London
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manop the driver

Mr Mor would have been able to fit all of those in and would have taken you to a fab local restaurant as well! Some of these guys are better than others. If Manop is the same Manop who works at the Cape Panwa then he is a really lovely guy but maybe not that clued up as to what people are looking for from a day tour. Also, Mr Mor speaks perfect English which would be a plus point in my view so that you can talk to him. Contact him on pongkands@gmail.com - he charges around 1500 per day.

western australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manop the driver

There is also Daj, get his details from Cathy & Garys Travel Pages. Can't do enough for you.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
293 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manop the driver

I'll tell it like it is. He is a nice guy, however when I hire someone for a day I kinda expect him to be fully dedicated to us instead of having someone booked at lunch.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manop the driver

Lotta words over no big deal. I think you need to take a chill pill and not sweat the little things. Pay thousands for a holiday and then get upset when there's a few hiccoughs, and someone tries to rip 100 baht off you ? 3 lousy bucks after a whole day driving you around ? I think you are missing the big picture.

9. Re: Manop the driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 22:18