We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - just a short one

australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - just a short one

Well we had Christmas in Phuket with 21 family/friends and I have to say it was fantastic - no Christmas stress at all - just relaxation. We stayed at the BanThai Resort which I can't really fault (language barrier with reception staff and the pool being too cold were the only two minor faults but I don't want to labour on them as this hotel is beautiful). We've stayed at the Cabana(once), Patong Merlin(twice) and Club Andaman Beach Resort (three times)and the Banthai is by far the best. Weather was sunny and hot for the first 8 days then it rained on Christmas day and from then on it was partly cloudy but still hot and pleasurable. We shopped - exchange rate ranged from 23 to 23.8 (last Dec it was 32 so that was a shame) but the kids still bought heaps of dvds at 50B and tshirts at 120-150B. Watches (cheapies)could be bought for 200-300B - better quality were 450-500B. We ate everywhere - our favourites and some new places . The only bad meal we had was at the Small Viewpoint Restaurant. Good view and fun but the food was yuk. Usually paid $7-10AUD per person for dinner and drinks. Had chrismtas dinner at the Port restaurand at the front of Banthai -the service was really bad and it was a complete rip-off.Bought our cocktails from MJ Bar (on the beach next to Sabai Beach restaurant). When we expressed dissapointment that the price had gone up since last year he gave us all our cocktails for 100-120B WITHOUT watering them down! Bought Acuvue contact lenses for half the price we pay in Perth. Got a suit made for our son's ball - they made it in 3 days with 2 fittings and it's perfect. Cost $145 but we could not get it cheaper than that no matter how much we bartered - the tailors don't have many customers. We went go-karting twice, cable water skiing, atv's, canoeing, jet skiing (when I say we - I mean mostly the boys) us girls did a lot of laying around reading, having pedicures/manicures, shopping, drinking coffee. There's a new Gloria Jeans Coffee Shop up the north end Of Patong (by new I mean I've never seen it before) so that was a nice change from Starbucks(rip-off) and Coffee World. My daughter and I got sick on Christmas day and ended the evening with our heads in the toilet but were fine by next morning. First time I've been sick in all 7 trips. We ate at no6 restaurant in Rat-U-Thid rd the night before but the food seemed fine - could have picked a bug up off anything - not just food. We found the people just as beautiful - they should be getting desperate as the tourist numbers are really down - we noticed a huge difference from last December but they're just happily working away. Anyway I'm too tired to think of much more - all in all we had a lovely time - probably won't go back - 7 times and the world is a large place so we need to broaden our horizons (I say that but watch -we'll be back!!)

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - just a short one

Great JBR. Sounds like you had a great time, except for your being sick on xmas day!

12 sleeps until we go...can't wait. Starting to get really excited and a bit nervous.

Will be our first trip to Thailand so have been reading this forum for the last 6 months getting all the tips.

We were going to go to small viewpoint restaurant but will just go there for drinks instead of a meal after hearing about your meal there.

What were the quality of the DVDs like that you got & where did you get them?

Jacqui

australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - just a short one

Hi Jacqui- Yes being sick on Christmas Day sucked but it didn't last long. We had a bad meal at SV Restaurant but don't let it put you off - lots of other people love it. Maybe we just ordered the wrong dishes! It's a nice drive through Karon and Kata to get to the restaurant and the view is great. You can buy dvd's EVERYWHERE, we find though that the best one's are behind the kitty stores (stores full of pink kitty stuff and they have a "hidden" door through to the back with an air conditioned dvd shop). The one we always use is in the kitty store opposite Sweet Restaurant which is in the alleyway where Subway is (on the beach rd). The guy there tells you whether the dvds are 80 90 or 100% quality. He will put them on for you to watch a bit to check it. The price is the same (50Baht)no matter the quality. Genreally if the movie isn't out on real dvd yet (ie: new release movies like "Australia") then the quality will be bad. I didn't buy a single dvd this trip though my son bought a couple. (The Sweet restaurant is also a good restaurant for Aussies who haven't been to Phuket before as it is immaculately clean and serves both thai and western food. If you sit out the front the hawkers will pester you to death so sit inside.They also do laundry - I had 20 items done for 200Baht). You didn't say where you were staying but dvd shops are everywhere in Kata and Karon also.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - just a short one

Thank you for your JBR, pity about xmas day, glad you felt better by morning to still enjoy the remainder of your holiday. Lee

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - just a short one

Hi wce1293

We are staying at Karon Beach Resort for 5 nights.

Thanks for the tips about the dvds. Was hoping to get twilight for my daughter which she just loved, it finishes at the movies this week so maybe will be able to get a good copy, fingers crossed. Will go to either Kittys or Mr Noon for my dvds. Have got a whole list of the ones I want!

We will be going to Krabi for 5 nights, Phi Phi for 3 nights & Phuket for 5 nights. As this is our first trip to Thailand wanted to see a few different places & decide which ones we like the best & hopefully come back for another holiday & stay at our favourite places.

Everyone says once you go to Thailand you can't wait to return!

Jacqui

australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - just a short one

Blondie59 - that's a great idea - visiting a few different places to see what you like. We love Thailand and I'd love to go back. We just feel we need to see more of the world. 2010 we plan on going to Europe so maybe we'll stop off in Phuket on the way home for a relax!!

6. Re: JBR - just a short one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 15:17