We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop smoking medication

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stop smoking medication

Does anyone know if you can buy Champix over the counter?

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop smoking medication

There are several nicotine based gums to help people quit smoking, but I have never heard that name brand (is it a gum, a patch, a pill?).

Nicorette is here and there is a local gum also, but I forget the name of it.

I am not sure about other stop smoking medications here; the gums where my sustenance for a while . . .

Quite often Thai pharmacies will NOT have namebrands common in the West - but most pharmacists speak English pretty well and if you tell them what you are looking for they will often find a local equivalent for you.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop smoking medication

It's a tablet that stops withdrawal symptoms - a big improvement on Zyban. My friend has asked me if it's possible to buy them to bring her some back. She can get a prescription from the doctor but the cost of the tablets is about $200. They can be purchased online from UK companies but as they can only be got by prescription in Aus she's wondering if she orders them they will be stopped at customs.

We're not sure what the go is with buying prescription drugs online.

I'll ask her for a packet that shows the main ingredient. Actually, Boots might sell them if they can be bought over the counter in UK.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop smoking medication

Pharmacies here often do hot have the very latest version of certain drugs, but there are Boots pharmacies in both malls and the pharmacists are usually very willing to bring out the formulary and see if it on offer in Thailand - or not. Though you should check if they are using a current forumlary, sometimes they aren't.

These days I would be cautious about transporting any drug/medicine across borders that was 1. not personally for me, 2. in more than a small quantity and 3. requires an Rx in the country I am entering.

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop smoking medication

Thanks for the advice. If i could find any I didn't intend buying in bulk, for the very reasons you have mentioned. Wish these things had been around when I was going through the misery - she says they are magic.

5. Re: Stop smoking medication

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 23:17