We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the weather really that bad in May?

manchester
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is the weather really that bad in May?

Hiya!

We're hoping to go to Phuket the first 2 wks of May, its our first time to Thailand so are v excited!!!

I'm just a bit unsure about the weather! looking at the stats it says May is pretty bad for rain and I was wondering if anyone had been in May before?..is it normally a short shower or are we talking days worth of rain? (hoping its the first!)any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Em

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

Well, it IS the beginning of the rainy season and still the hot season. That means it will get unbearably hot and humid and then rain like crazy for a few minutes to an hour, possibly several times a day, cooling it down.

In between it may be cloudy or partly cloudy, but typically there will be a lot of sunshine and blue sky. You may get a number of days in which it will be extremely humid, like swimming in the air or -rarely- a few days of continuous rain and consequent flooding. But then again, there could also be a few days of continuous sunshine and no rain. The sea tends to be quite rough and some ferry services are closed down.

manchester
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

Thanks very much for your reply.. so it could be hit or miss.. will have to keep my fingers crossed that its ok :)

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

I quite like May through September and find them a bit cooler (the clouds and rain cool things down VERY nicely). Things are also very green at that time and restaurants are genuinely happy to see you. Add to that 1/2 or 1/3 hotel/resort prices . . . and you've got a good deal.

You can, btw, still get a nice sunburn here even when it is raining. I got a nice tan a year ago while sitting under an umbrella, under a tree, on a cloudy rainy day on Kata Beach. AND I was wearing a HAT!

Realize that even when it rains here - it still doesn't get cold, the rain is often quite refreshing.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

we always go mid may - early June.. yes it rains. but there's always something to do.. I found one of the folding umbrellas was useful to take along too.. and if you are walking in the rain, make sure your shoes have a bit of grip on the soles.. I wore thongs once and woops..... thar she rolls :) into a puddle.. a bruised ego and the rest of the body was a bit sore too!

5. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2009, 04:41
melbourne
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

Went in late May. First 2 days much rain, on and off. Next 10 days not a drop. Apparently rained quite a bit for 3 days before we got there.

Don't believe the weather report, it says "possibility of rain" nearly every day. Could just as easily say "possibility of no rain" .

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

Hey there

I was in Kata for May last year for a week and did not have a single drop of rain (unlike the absolute bucketing rain we experienced in Singapore before arriving!). The weather was sunny and the temperature was around 28-30 each day.

I guess it is luck of the draw, but going in May not be as depressing as you may think! Good luck!

Cheers

beejay

manchester
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

Thanks for all your replies! really helpful! we've decided we're going to go for it! yey!

So we're off to Cape Panwa in the first 2 wks of May everyone keep their fingers and toes crossed!

xxx

9. Re: Is the weather really that bad in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 01:19