We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

Hi there can anyone advise on how easy it is to book these trips last minute? I am heading to Phuket from 17th Feb 09 and will be around the island for 6 weeks.

I wanted to know how possible it is to book once I get out there, just me going and also hoping to save on advertised prices. Other reson for waiting is that i will be travelling around and not sure exactly when I want to go yet.

Will they all be booked?

Will I save money booking last minute?

Any advice much appreciated!!

Thanks

Jo

Phuket - Thailand
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

Hi ya Jo,

Yes it is possible to book a last minute trip for the Similans for sure. I have seen many offers around this season.

You can wait until you get out here, but it worth remembering that you will just have to take what is available then. If you're not fussy then you will be fine. If you have certain requirements then do book ahead.

Here's a few boats that I think are well worth a visit from personal experience:

Colona VI, Black Manta, Queen Scuba, The Junk & Scuba Explorer.

Have fun - Lisa ;-)

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

Hi Jo

You can easily book when you arrive here as there are so many last minute special offers available this season. The Liveaboard boats are not getting fully booked and we are receiving these offers on a daily basis.

Have a good trip.

Chantal

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

At the moment there are last minutes in all priceclasses. And looking at the availability for the whole month, it looks like there will be last minutes for the rest of the month as well.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

Lisa, Chantal and Steven

Thanks so much for your advice so much appreciated.

Lisa I looked at those boats they look really good, to be honest it is a bit of a trip of a lifetime for me so I am thinking of blowing the budget a bit and going for it!

All-it is good to know there are still places available, so many sites say you HAVE to book in advance but I really cannot commit just yet so great to know there are still places.

All-I have heard that Sunrise Divers are the best agents to deal with with regards to advice/booking once out there - do you agree???

Also one more question, I am undecided about how long to take for Similan trip, they seem to run from 3-10 days. Any reccomendations, is 10 days too long??? I think 3 days not long enough, whaddya reckon?

Cheers so much in advance for your advice!!

Jo

x

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

If possible, I would recommend either 4 days Similans, Bon, Tachai Richelieu Rock followed by 2-3 days Hin Daeng, Hin Muang etc. or 6 days Similans etc.

For a good experience, don't do less than 4 days/4 nights.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
138 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

Hi to all Phuket lover.....

Need some informations here, are there any full day Similan Island day?

Depart in morning and arrive at around 4pm....

Thanks in advance....

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

Hi Gomed

Most of the Dive Centers on Phuket offer daytrips to The Similans. However if you could - try and do a longer trip so that you can see the best of these dive sites.

For the daytrips departure is at 6:00am and return is around 7:30pm. It is a long day as the traveling to and from is about 8 hours ( 1 way - 2 hours by road to Taplamu and then transfer onto the speedboat for another 2 hour trip to reach the Dive boat).

The cost for the daytrip is around 5600 baht per diver inc 2 dives, lunch and refreshments. Equipment rental is extra around 700 baht per person depending on the Dive Center.

Hope this helps.

Chantal

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

Hi

We did the Similan Islands last March, agree you need to do 4 nights anything less is not worth it.

We shopped around for about 3 or 4 days trying to find the best deal, we ended up going with Scuba Cat (on the main front near molley mallones), they were great, they never reduced the price 24000tb per person but you get 21 dives and the food is fantastic.

Water world Asia is another one that offer very good last min deals, when you walk in there is a board with all boats going out in the next few days, so that might be a better offer for you.

www.waterworldasia.com

www.scubacat.com

We've just booked to go back December and will defo be using one of the two mentioned.

Have fun

Eileen

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
138 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

Thanks Ring0 and scubawitch for the quick replied...

So i yhink we must pass Similan since we only have 1 day in Phuket....Just enjoy Phuket for whole day....

Cheers to all and safe travelling.....

10. Re: Booking Similan liveaboard trips last minute

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 14:22