We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

I know this is a strange forum to post this topic but I know lots of Victorians are regulars.

I am in contact with Diamond Creek Command Centre. We desperately need

- Food items that don't need a lot of prep e.g 2 min noodles, tuna, pasta packs, tea

Also require

can openers, teaspoons, mouth wash, hair brushes, cotton bubds, tena pads.

We are doing a run mid morning tomorrow. I can pick stuff up.

Any help greatly appreciated. Please email williamsangela@bigpond.com.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

On the contrary Ang, I believe it is absolutley apt to post your request.

I do hope the moderators feel the same sentiments and appreciate the situation as to what is happening here in Oz, particularly in Vic at the moment and leave this thread be - at the end of the day it's the Phuket forum on TA that brings a lot of us together regardless of where we live.

We all kicked in when the tsunami happened troops so it's now time to look after our own - dig deep guys - even just a toothbrush won't break the bank!

Will touch base Ang, doin' what we can up here in Canetoad country at the moment!

Cheers

Tiff xxxx

2. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 February 2009, 19:07
3. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 February 2009, 19:07
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,061 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

HI

yes the one reponse was uncalled for.

My heart felt sympathys go out to all you auzzies for your lose.

We here in the western USA understand the devastation wild fires can cause as we go thru it every yr.

unless you have been near a wildfire you have no idea how fast and how dangerous and unforgiving the fire is.

melbourne
Level Contributor
301 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

Hi Ange.

Well done for your selflessness in this horrific time in Victoria.

We have friends/colleagues who lost their homes and need to start again with the basics. We plan to personally help them.

Some ppl find it hard to comprehend that basic grooming/hygiene implements are needed and most ppl left their homes with only what that were wearing.

Keep up the good work.

PS- we used to live at Diamond Creek before we moved to Gippsland.

Nat

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
886 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

To Revolver-Ocelot

I don't think I have ever posted a negative response to anyone on a forum before but there is a first for everything:

Get a life ... or get out and help someone who needs theirs back.

Just do it.

We have over half a dozen GOOD friends whom have their homes burnt to the ground over the past week in two major bushfires near our home. Countless others that we know in our area. My husband and I also had to deliver the very sad news to our VERY BEST FRIENDS of over 25 years yesterday morning that their home was indeed one of the ones that was completely gone.

Sometimes in the enormity of a tragic situation it is the LITTLE things that count... like your own toothbrush or hairbrush. My friends young son had a new lego toy bought for him yesterday and he told my 19 year old son "I will remember this toy 'cause its my first new toy 'cause I lost all my others". A simple piece of leggo. Not much more than a hairbrush really. But it means something to him.

Go on Revolver-Ocelot - go organise a few basics for people so it is a few less things they have to think of; and let those involved with some serious losses get on with rebuilding their lives with the bigger stuff that also needs to be accomplished. You sound like you were born with the silver spoon in your mouth and been fortunate enough since you popped out of your mum's tum to never experience adversity.

Lets hope it ends soon. We have fires still turning back in different directions because of the winds and are not out of the woods yet (so to speak). Nobody can get into many areas as it is being treated as a crime scene so other than a handful of local people that managed to stay and fight AND SURVIVE the last couple of nights it is hard for any of us to get any information whatsoever about loved ones, work colleagues, friends or even 'the bloke who works in the butchers' that you shop at. Many don't even know if there homes are still standing or gone.

Get a bl**dy life RO.

To everybody else and the original OP: we are thinking of everyone around the state and you sound like you are doing a marvellous job. It is overwhelming in so many places around Victoria - we are in SE Victoria near the Churchill fires. xo

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
886 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

Hi mynatty

Gippsland hey? Then you are close to me (I'm born and bred here "for better or worse"!!) :)

I must have been typing my response while you posted yours as I did not see it before posting. You have summed everything up PERFECTLY.

I am just numb with it all - we have so many at my work place that live in the affected area's plus many friends and my besties. There are so many charities, the unions, my workplace, the radio station (etc, etc) asking for donations and help that we ended up sitting back and working out what is the best way to help.

For us, it is to directly, personally help those we know with any way we can.

Whoever you are... I hope you and your family are okay and safe and that each day in the coming ones brings some good news stories as well as the heartbreaking ones. Take care...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

Revolver ,

If you had ever been in a housefire or a bushfire ( and I have been in both ) then maybe wouldn't be so glib with your post as one of the things you and feel the need to do is wash the stench of smoke from your hair!

I lived in the Murrindi and Glenburn area and I have many friends in the area and I still cant contact some of them :( My parents live on the outskirts of Lilydale and they are also concerned for our friends.

So please in future think before you be so flippant.

Ange , good on for the work your doing we have donated cash to the appeal from our company.

take care everyone

Lozza

perth,wa
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

Ange, I know here in WA, heaps of new ( not used) blankets, sheets, towels, & toilitries, as well as food stuff, is on its way to Victoria. Cash donations are being collected, to help too.

All the best to our Victorian friends.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Bushfires - Any victorians please help

AussieAnge,

Who cares what forum you need to use to ask for help ?

All donation collection points here in Canberra are entirely full and cannot accept any more items. The local radio station (104.7) and their Canberra listeners filled 10 shipping containers in 24 hours ! All on their way to Victoria.

The generosity of the entire Australian community is truly amazing ! Good on ya Aussies.