We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket Or Krabi?

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket Or Krabi?

Hi All,

I've posted this in both the Krabi and Phuket forum just so I can get mixed/unbiased views.

So, myself and my partner are planning on travelling through Asia between September and December this year, when we get to Kuala Lumpur we have been looking at the possibility of catching an Air Asia flight to either Phuket or Krabi for a week of relaxation and hopefully some sun.

Are planned time of arrival for either destination will be mid to late November or early December, as we don't really know much about either destination I though i'd just say what we like; Netiher of us are really interested in nightlife, we're the sort of couple who would prefer a night in a restaurant, a couple of drinks in a bar and then a walk round before heading back to the hotel.

I guess we're also looking for somewhere where she can do a bit of shopping, we can do a few tourist things i.e. sightseeing and just generally relax. We're also looking for somewhere that's realatively inexpensive to stay/shop and eat.

So which one do you think? Or is there anohter alternative?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket Or Krabi?

If Phuket perhaps Bangtao or Surin might suit you. If you want lots of shopping then Phuket would be the place, though more expensive than Bangkok, Phuket has many shopping malls and other shops.

I would grab a guide book of the area, some data will be out of date but you will get the general idea.

Thailand is large, there are many beaches, islands, inland destinations.

You are right that you do not see much about the other places here.

You can also train north from KL to Arau and then go by road to the pier for a ferry to langkawi is you wanted a few days on a malaysian island, there is then several times a day a ferry ( about 1 hr 30 ) to Satun in Southern Thailand. From there you can head to the quiet islands nearby or Koh Lanta which is busier but not as much as Ao Nang or Phuket.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket Or Krabi?

Hi RichardTheGreat,

Loved Krabi, loved Phuket! Both for different reasons. Krabi was laid back and visually beautiful. The environment was spectacular, isolated beaches, enormous, craggy limestone cliffs, the bluest of waters, secluded, exclusive resorts.

Phuket, on the other hand, was culturally vibrant and offered diversity in what was available to do day and night, where to stay and it was a link to all kinds of other activities, sailing trips, speed boats to beyond and then, there is the shopping, of course.

I would love to return to Krabi and stay there for a week or so, just to relax and trip about the islands on a long boat, laze on the white sands and forget about how much the exchange rate is for the baht to the $.

We've been to Phuket twice now and Krabi only the once, but will return, for sure, to both.

S'pose it depends on what kind of stuff you're into.

Good travels,

Cjay

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket Or Krabi?

Krabi, Krabi, Krabi.

Hands down!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket Or Krabi?

Krabi sounds like your cup of tea if you want a laid back break away from the crowds.Stay in Ao Nang and chillax and catch a longtail boat to the islands and maybe catch a ferry to Phi Phi for the day.Krabi has good shopping and restaurants by the beach.

Travel time by road between Phuket and Krabi is 2.5 hours so i wouldn't bother doing both.

Ao Nang is great,i'm sure you'll love it.There are loads of videos on youtube,just type in Ao Nang or Krabi,press search.

Cheers

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
346 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket Or Krabi?

Thanks for all the opinions, from what i've read and the replys i've recieved I am diefinately leaning more towards Krabi.

When question though with regards to Krabi, is there any to do, i.e. day trips, touristy things etc... As much as we want to relax we still want to get around and see things?!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket Or Krabi?

Hi Richard we are heading to Krabi in June, have a look at some of the info on these links. Lee

http://www.andamancampandcruise.com/

www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com/krabi.htm

http://www.yourkrabi.com/

http://www.krabirailay.com/

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket Or Krabi?

Richard,

I found a speedboat trip to PhiPhi with twenty or so other passengers stopping at a number of islands a bit disappointing as they tried to jam too many islands into the full day trip. The operator yelled at everone to 'Hurry! Get in now! You only have 30 minutes to snorkel, be back or well go without you!"

This happened at all stops.

Spoil the enjoyment as brief stops and had to constantly be concerned about the time!

If I was going again I would chose a trip that wasnt so rushed.

I would not chose the four islands trip. If I went again I would hire my own longboat and driver for the day.

We just grabbed our own longboat from Klong Muang beach opp. the Sofitel for a full day with a few lesuisly stops on HONG ISLAND. Cant recall the cost, but it wasnt much and it was simply the best day!! Hong Island is a must see! Only 15 minutes off shore.

Jump on a longboat at Ao Nang to Railey beach. They take a few passengers at a time.

There are Box Jellyfish in the oceans in Thailand, so beware.

We wore Stingersuits (like a lycra wetsuit) and took a bottle of vinegar to flood any stings.

Box Jelly fish can be fatal if you accidently swim into thier tentacals!

Search 'Box Jellyfish in seas Phuket/Krabi on Trip Advisor Phuket forums for details.

Another trip that we enjoyed immensley was Tiger Cave Temple about 30 minutes or so out from Krabi town. Monks, markets, caves,monkeys! and steps that can be climbed up to an amazing lookout at the top of the mountain!

From the Sofitel we hired a driver for the day, went Elephant Trekking at Unseen Excursions,hiked&swam Emerald Pool, (200baht per person National Park entry,nice, then on to Tiger Cave Temple.

Our driver just took us to these places and we paid any entry as we went.

Lots of amazing limestone cliff/mountain scenery along the way.

Krabi is devine!

Beats Phuket anyday in my experience. Particually if your not into the nightclub scene.

8. Re: Phuket Or Krabi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 16:45