We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry, but....

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry, but....

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, (I'm sure it will) but I'm at a total loss as to why so many people post how much time there is to go before their holiday. How does that post help anyone on this forum? Does it contribute any kind of travel information? No. Other posts, such as the bushfire tragedy get deleted, but one person after another posting a totally useless post about how any hours or days 'til they depart for Phuket remain on the board.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. Is it just a trend or is it actually important to someone?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Sorry, but....

Hey Anthea ...

I have done it and I have read them ... is it important .. no .. but...... a lot of people spend a long time on the forums planning their trips.. and we all enjoy reading their jbr's.... it maybe their first trip or their tenth but it is exciting to them... and in posting their countdowns.. many forum members have learnt of others travelling at the same times.. maybe staying in same hotels or near by and have meet up... had a drink.. dinner.. shared an activity...

The forums are definately here to answer questions but they have long been used to to contact others who are travelling to the same destinations and organising things...

There are many posts on here that dont interest me.. and that is why we have titles... I dont read the ones I am not interested in or I dont think I can assist someone with their question..

the world is made up of all different people who like different things.. would be boring otherwise.. my motto... unless you are hurting someone with your actions... who cares what you do... enjoy !

Cheers

Chelle

Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sorry, but....

Hey Tina,

We realize that going to Phuket is no big thrill for you as you are there what....6 months of the year. Lucky you. But don't take the thrill away from us plebs who only get there once a year. Whats the saying.......build a bridge.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Sorry, but....

Sorry i agree with athene, it may be exciting for that person but why would anyone eles care to know. Personelly i dont care if some random i dont know has 56 bl**dy sleeps to go !

And i dont understand how someone can be so excited about a trip which is still months away ?

I have just got back and im not going to tell anyone when my next trip is , so there !!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Sorry, but....

Well said Jane and Chelle - and hey guess what! - we are sooooo excited for our next trip in mid-May - the countdown begins !! I agree, if we lived there for 6 months of the year, we might also not be that excited.

I feel by posting our coundowns, that other new members can share the excitement, possibly meet up if going the same time, and get travel tips and advice from us who have been before.

Yipeeeeeee we have 65 days to go !! Anyone wanting advice, feel free to PM me ..... Jilly

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Sorry, but....

Sorry, but .... I agree with Athena.

I don't really give a toss about when you are going and feel the space could be better used on genuine help for first-timers or those seeking specific info.

I too know when I'm going, but don't feel the need to bore you with the details.

I will certainly post a JBR which hopefully may give someone the benefit of my experiences ... and if I go to a tailor, I will tell you which tailor, what I bought, and how much it cost ... and if I use a driver, I will tell you who it was, how much it cost, and where we went ... etc (and you can read another criticism into that statement if you wish).

I hope everyone has a great trip - I'd love to hear about it ... after you've "been there, seen it and done it".

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Sorry, but....

29 days, 7 hours and 58 minutes.... make that 57 minutes... to go!! ;-)

PS I agree with Chelle and others... you dont have to read every post, and different strokes for different folks.. I have personally been able to line up catchups by catching the odd post that shows me someone else is going to be where I am at the same time!

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Sorry, but....

I just wish that all the people that post their countdown would also write a JBR when they get back to let us know how it went & helpful advice that they might be able to share with others about their experiences.

There haven't been any JBR's on this forum or others in quite a while which I find quite dissappointing as I love to hear about everyone elses holidays & experiences.

So please everyone post a JBR when you get a chance.

Jacqui

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Sorry, but....

I haven't ever posted a trip report as I write a blog as I go.. with lots of hopefully useful info! :-)

Feel free to browse my blogs (and keep track of the next trip) at www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet (and this is not a solicitation post.. just a 'on the ground' report as I go!)

Reet xx

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
849 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Sorry, but....

i think it's all part of the travel experience!!

Half the fun (well maybe 5%) is the anticipation!!

I can't wait to get back to Phuket - and am happy to share other's excitement as well.

If you don't like it - that's your perogative

victoria
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Sorry, but....

Yah 3months to go,its interesting to see who will be over the same time we go I like reading peoples post on how long they have to go,doesnt bother me at all.