We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines and the school holidays!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Singapore Airlines and the school holidays!

My experience may help or encourage someone.

We are off to Phuket again in June/July (school holidays) and went to book Singapore Airlines (SIA) – Adelaide/Phuket return. Many internet booking attempts kept resulting in the message “There are no flights for your itinerary” (or words to that effect). We knew there were flights on the days chosen. It seemed implausible that all seats were booked 4 months in advance, prompting me to ring SIA’s Adelaide office.

After 40 minutes of listening to the catchy (for 5 minutes) but then sickly and annoying (35 minutes) “Singapore Girl” hold-song, I got to talk to a very nice lady who told me that the return leg (Singapore to Adelaide on Sunday 19 July) was fully booked. I then booked us for the Monday not relishing the associated school/work ramifications, but hoping wait-listing may eventually result in us getting seats on the Sunday flight. That was 3 weeks ago.

Today I decided to go to SIA’s Adelaide office to

- produce our VISA card (did not want to take it to Phuket and thus not produce it at the airport), and

- wait-list for the Sunday.

I arrived at the SIA office at about midday and there were two lovely ladies behind the counter with no other customers. One fixed my VISA card question – didn’t have to sign an “Indemnity Form” as it was apparently already confirmed seeing I had used our Krys Flyer numbers on the internet booking.

She then passed me to the other lady for wait-listing, as she was going to lunch. This lady initially told me it would cost $50 each (3 tickets) to change the date if available. (What’s another $150 when the tickets cost $4074?). After consulting her computer, she said “I can get you seats now.” I said “Great.” Then she said “It won’t cost you the $50 either – there’s an amnesty till the end of the month.” I said “This keeps getting better.” Within 10 minutes I had the new E-tickets. I couldn’t have had better service anywhere (and I didn’t have to listen to “Singapore Girl”!!).

Anyone else got similar school holiday problems?

Peter

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airlines and the school holidays!

Hmmm. Well myself and my finacee apparently live in a vortex somewhere in Western Europe known as Ireland.

You cannot book multi trip using their website because Irish airports do not appear. They only appear on a standard one way or return booking.

Instead you have to call their Dublin office. No problem as there was not language barrier. I got the flight booked for €800 less than Air France(whom gave me a refund hours before after much bickering).

I told him I would like to request specific seats on board to which he told me that I could not reserve seats because I am making the booking over the phone. I told him it was their computer system that will not allow me to book online. I was told that, basically boo hoo, its not his problem and that he will put me down for a window seat + middle seat. I want to be upstairs on the A380 because they only have two seats next to each other instead of 3 down below. Tough luck on me basically.

Alhough if push comes to shove and I cannot get upstairs when checking in then I will not cry about sitting next to a stranger(flight if FULL) but I would prefer to fall asleep without a stranger next to me because my fiancee will not sit next to a stranger full stop.

I have flown with Singapore before(pre a380 days) and they are a brilliant airline far from the usual low cost flights Im used to and we are really looking forward to it.

If they could just give me the seating I want or similar then I would be more than happier. I even wanted to pay $300USD more for exit row/bulkhead seating but they wont take my money claiming it was my fault for booking over the phone.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airlines and the school holidays!

I hear where you are coming from, if you can manage to in fact go to a real 'airline office' it's amazing what you can get sorted out, on the spot!

Airline websites vary and at least on Singapore Airlines you can see which days they go. We were planning to use Malaysia Airlines for a trip to Australia but the website just was not 'user friendly'. So we stuck with our firm favorite - SQ

When we were in Brisbane on that trip I needed to call Singapore Airlines and after the long wait got through, long story short - I was speaking to someone in Singapore even though I had dialed the number provided in Australia. Though when I did get through I got the seats on the different flight we wanted within minutes. I had decided that if I couldn't get them I was going to head down to their office.

Over recent years as so much is over the internet whenever I have walked in to a real living airline office I have got exactly what I needed!

Well done, it was worth the trip.

3. Re: Singapore Airlines and the school holidays!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 06:26