We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gracelands

Australia.
Level Contributor
227 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Gracelands

Hi everyone.After much browsing, reading this forum & talking with travel agents,we have decided to stay at Gracelands in Patong for 8 nights & then travel to Bangkok for 5 nights. Can anyone please give me their opinion on the reort Graceland ?

We are thinking of flying out mid October, so should be quiter being the low season ?

Thanks,

Stroudie.

melbourne
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gracelands

Ahh, Gracelands. Nothing to do with Elvis. So many bad things written about it, perhaps undeservedly so. Probably undeservedly so.

The basics: large open grass area & pool surrounded by multi-story rooms. The grassed area is nothing much but the pool is nice and big and you can look out over the end at the sea. Another much smaller outdoor pool up one level, also with a nice aspect. The main pool is not super deep, maybe 1.5 metres, and you can't run and dive into it, but it's still good. Pool chairs can be at a premium, but should be ok in low season. One side of the hotel looks over a cemetery - who cares ?

The beach area out the front is a nicer and quieter stretch of Patong beach. The surrounds either side and out the back are not nice to look at, but that's the same for the rest of Patong anyway. There are enough shops and food places nearby, but you'll still want to always go into the main part of Patong. The location is a fair walk from the heart of the action, but easily do-able. Ten minutes ? Surely no more ? I forget. Tuk-tuk it instead for as little as 100 baht.

The rooms are ok, pretty much mid-range Patong standard (inc. the rock hard beds), but there are some dogs of rooms (apparently) that they try to foist upon unsuspecting guests. Don't know what the top rooms are like, suites etc, did not look at those. Some of the decorations can be a bit hotch-potch - no accounting for taste. Lobby was nice enough. As always, 'politely' insist on a more suitable room if you get a dog. Always best to book deluxe instead of superior, if you can afford it.

Breakfast is once again the Patong standard buffet.

I don't think there is anything actually wrong with Gracelands. As long as you aren't expecting something like the JW Marriott, you will enjoy your stay. Especially at some of the bargain prices on offer.

As a comparison, it's probably on a par with the Patong Merlin (I can hear the protests already...), and less fancy than Holiday Inn or Amari.

australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gracelands

I agree with the above. I would rather stay at Gracelands than Patong Merlin for many reasons. Gracelands is a decent walk but it'll be good for you! Gracelands is a HUGE resort - the lobby/reception area is massive. The rooms I've seen are great, and the pools look nice. Down this end of the beach you can try heaps of great restaurants that don't constantly feature on TA. For something quirky - go to the beach and walk along the beach to your right and when you get to the rocks at the very end, scramble up them and have a seat, have a really cold drink and something simple to eat at this place whilst looking over the whole bay. Place looks disgusting but it's a great spot for a cold drink after a beach walk.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gracelands

Hi, in 2007 we viewed the rooms at Graceland as we had friends staying there. At that time we figured we'd be happy to stay in the north end of Patong at Graceland if we visited again. We had already stayed at the north end of Patong - (Deevana "deluxe spa" and the Andaman Beach suites) on this visit, while I have stayed at the Amari many years ago. From the north end we walked a lot to the shopping areas (mainly ending up at Otop markets) and caught tuk tuks when we couldn't be bothered walking back, however this time we have decided to give the south end a go and hopefully not have to catch tuk tuks.

Australia.
Level Contributor
227 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gracelands

Thak you for your help & advice.

As this will be out 1st trip to Phuket, I'm sure we will be paying attention to the other resorts as well & checking them out.

Where do we go to organise elephant rides if they are available.

Thanks again,

Stroudie.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gracelands

also be sure you want to stay in patong.. do some research for Patong compared to Karon and Kata.

Patong is very full on... and Karon and Kata are much more laid back but still enough life ..

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gracelands

Book elephant rides (and all your tours) from the roadside tour operators. They are all over. 25% cheaper than just rolling up, and transport thrown in as well. When we went we paid 1000 baht (plus transport) for an hour ride, tour operator said they would have done it for 750 baht inc. transport.

Patong is not so full on if you come from any major Australian city. Kata/Karon can be a little too quiet in low season for party-hardy types.

South Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gracelands

Hi Stroudie,

We stayed at Gracelands for 14 days over May and had a wonderful time. Not sure why this hotel has got such a negative wrap from alot of travellers.

The rooms were spacious and clean and we asked for a pool view. The breakfast buffet is elaborate and you don't need to eat until dinner - make sure you try the waffles they are wonderful. Also, great restaurants out the back gate like Nicky's and Andaman Seafood - much cheaper than on Beach Road.

Have a great time.

Cheers Sharon

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gracelands

Think I read somewhere Swiss Palm Beach is opposite Gracelands?

Perth
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gracelands

Stroudie

I stayed there with my wife and two friends for 8 days and it was the worst,breakfast was colder than cold, service was non existent, find somewhere else to stay

they were still repairing the place even though it was new

regards

BLG5188

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gracelands

Hi Stroudie,

Just come back from a week at Gracelands and have to agree with everything first poster says. Beds are hard but after spewing about it, hubby and I actually had great sleeps there, no sore backs in the morning and hubby has a bad back.

Nothing to complain about, we had a deluxe room, service and staff very friendly.

Can't understand how you can get a cold breakfast if it is cooked in front of you!

As for the pools, they are lovely and we walked to pretty much everywhere, although it's easy to get a tuk tuk to other end of Patong if you want to.

We are not first timers, this our 29th visit, so we know Patong hotels pretty well and this one is fine, not our favourite but fine.

We did meet a lady in lobby who was complaining and said she would never stay here again, staff rude and so on, but can't comprehend it, maybe she had higher expectations or simply didn't know how to deal with thai's, if you are firm, in control and don't get angry (and in some cases a nice tip)will get you whatever you want.

JBR TO COME SOON AS i GET ORGANISED!!

Sue