We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elephant trek

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
elephant trek

HI all,

another quick question. we were going to book a 2 night trek through Elephant Hills www.elephant-hills.com on the premise that they are humane and take excellent care of the elephants. does anyone know of elephant trek day trips from Phuket that are also humane? Elephant Hills looks lovely, but it's price is driving up the cost of the trip.

-kelly

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: elephant trek

Hi Kelly.

We are doing a trek at the Kok Chang elephant park,apparently It Is an elephant rehab park this Is why we went with them also the money gos straight to the park for the up keep.

This Is a link for you to judge for yourself, hope this helps.kokchang.patongoceanviewresort.com

Cheers W.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: elephant trek

Don't know what happened there sorry.

kokchang.patongoceanviewresort.com

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elephant trek

Kok Chang is a commercial operation, not a rehab at all. It was misrepresented as a rehab for quite some time here, though. Kok Chang is not a bad place, just not a rehab for the elephants or the gibbons there.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elephant trek

Thanks for clearing that up yes I was lead to believe It was a rehab park, never mind at least they look like they are treatd well thats why I picked It.

Cheers W.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: elephant trek

Kok Chang is lovely and not to touristy but not a re-hab. it is located over looking the ocean in a very non touristy and undeveloped area just 5 min from Kata.

They also do free pick ups now from Kata, Karon, Rawai, Chalong. And from Patong for a small fee..

Melbourne
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: elephant trek

Walpurqus

Who lead you to believe it was a rehab place

Murf

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: elephant trek

If you want a real place where they truly care about the elepahnts try elephant nature park. I went and spent the night, it was an experience of a lifetime.

The only thing you can't do there is ride the elephants.

Elephant hills uses the metal baskets.

All Thai elephants are trained in a cruel ritual called pujaan in which 40% of the elephants die adding to the already declining numbers of this majestic creature.

I am not telling to not go on your trek, just asking you to consider elephant nature park instead, give it a look up on google.

Hope you have a fab holiday.

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: elephant trek

in regards to kok chang, does anyone have contact information to book? (besides the phone number on thier website)

also, with the Elephant nature park, what sort of accomodations did you find?

Warm Regards,

Kelly

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: elephant trek

Hi Kelly, we have been a few times and have just turned up, i am sure you don't need to book unless you are wanting a day trek but then i am not sure if they do day treks.

These prices are from Sept 08

60 minutes 1,000 baht

30 minutes 800 baht

20 minutes 600 baht

Cheers, Pete

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: elephant trek

Kelly the accomodations were decent but a little rustic, which I dont mind. The little houses had fans and nets, big windows and really nice wrap around bamboo decks to lounge on. The washroom was attatched but you had to walk on your deck to get to it, but it was a very decent size. The food was included in the price and it was really good to. To be honest I thought the accomodations were going to be much lower in standards so I was happily surprised.