We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong or Karon

Dunfermline...
Level Contributor
43 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Patong or Karon

Second posting in a matter of minutes. So we are planning on going to Phuket in September and looking for a relaxing and relatively quiet 10 days. We have heard that Patong beach is loud 24/7 and we thought of the Holiday Inn to stay at. Is this a "loud" area where the hotel is situated or far enough away from the noise to chill?

Karon beach has been suggested as a quieter place to stay and I would appreciate thoughts on the best beach to chill. Also comments if possible on the Andaman Seeview Karon, compared with the Holiday Inn Patong?

Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,878 posts
1,922 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong or Karon

Its traditionally has been said that Patong is more lively and Karon is a lot more quieter and suitable for families.

True to an extent, but we actually liked the hustle and bustle of Patong even though we stayed in Karon.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong or Karon

Patong is better as you can walk to everything.

While inside the grounds of your hotel you will not hear any noise, its only hotels around Bang La road that you may find it noisy and that's about 2 KLM's from the Holiday Inn.

Cheers, Pete.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong or Karon

We have just returned from Phuket and for some reason many travel agents had told us not to stay in Karon or Kata as they were "too far away from everything". Our party of 8 was 4 adults and 4 kids aged 11 to 14.

After touring the island my opinion was far different to most of them.

We stayed at Bang Tao - I would recommend this area to people who want a quieter holiday and plan on spending most of their time in a resort or on the beach. Shopping and eating options are limited.

We went to Patong a few nights to shop and eat - definitely the louder, party area of Phuket.

We drove through Karon and Kata one day and it looked like the perfect spot for us. It had the nicest beaches of the 3 areas, looked a nice, clean family area, but still had a range of sidewalk stalls, eateries and shops.

If I go back to Phuket I will be looking at Karon and Kata for sure.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong or Karon

None of these suggested places are far from each other. As a guide, it takes about 45 minutes to get from the airport to Patong. Patong to Kata, what, 20 minutes ? 25 ? Patong to Karon in 10 ? 15 ? No more.

Obvious plan is to split, with 4 days in Patong. There are stay 6 pay 4, and stay 4 pay 3 deals available, so it works out nicely.

Holiday Inn is at the quieter end of Patong Beach, but still close enough to walk in for shopping or dinner. No one (but me) complains about the HI (not-huge-enough pool, too many kids, attracts the "white bread" crowd. I'm being harsh, if it was on special, I'd absolutely stay there). Don't know anything about Andaman, it looks nice and gets good reviews. Pool could be bigger, but then the pool at HI is no great shakes either. Has a pay 6 stay 4 deal going. Check out Centara Karon, another popular choice.

Patong beach is lousy with jet ski's and parasailers, but a short walk can find you a patch of beach between set-ups. Karon is definitely quieter. If I was going just to chill, and didn't plan on shopping or partying in Patong, as the OP said, look at Bangtao beach. Nicer choice of resort style accommodation. If it has to be Karon, look at Le Meridien. Both of these options can (will) be expensive.

Compared to the cost of everything else, taxi fares are relatively dear for short distances eg 300 baht from Karon to Patong, just under £6, when it costs about 650 baht to get to Karon from the airport (private vehicle). So if you do plan to shop every other day, factor it in. Cheapest option in that regard is to hire a tuk-tuk for the day, for as little as 400-500 baht. Go figure ? Well, truth be told, it's that cheap because they can get kickbacks or fuel vouchers for taking you to shops or attractions.

Can I ask why people from the UK, sorry, from the independent nation of Scotland (a pox on all Sassenachs !), holiday in Thailand and not somewhere closer like Spain or Malta or some island in Africa ?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patong or Karon

Which beach you choose depends on what you are looking for. I agree it is not a great distance between the most popular/busy beaches.

Are you after nightlife and shopping with malls and lots of bars etc ?

Are you after a somewhat quieter beach to relax but with 'some' bars and restaurants.

I pressume you appreciate the weather at that time of year compared with other islands in Thailand.

Bangtao and Surin or Nai Harn beaches on Phuket would give you quieter areas.

If you can give us a clearer picture of your 'dream holiday' it is easier to get an idea of what you are looking for.

Many look for quiet places to relax, snorkel, enjoy local life etc, others want busy places with lots of shopping and nightlife. It varies so much.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong or Karon

Patong is the epitome of bad tourism.

Karon has everything Patong has except cleaner beaches and less seediness and less harassment.

I drove through Patong last week and the ocean water was brown. not bluish brown but brown! I don't know how anyone can enjoy Patong but I know a lot of agents push it..perhaps they have never been there!

Andaman Sea view is quiet and right opposite the beach set back from the road.

Holiday in is at one end of Patong but still in Patong.

I don't know how anyone could even recomend Patong as a destination unless they really enjoy that kind of tacky tourism.

There are bars and shopping in Karon. Plenty of it.

Central Coast
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong or Karon

Just got back and i would highly reccommend kata. Tropical Resort is a new resort and a great choice.

Enjoy

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong or Karon

Have just arrived back from Thailand after spending 12 days in Phuket (8 in Patong - stayed at Banthai Resort & 4 at Le Meridien). Patong has everything you want and within walking distance. When at the Le Meridien we had to catch a tuk tuk into Patong or Karon if we didn't want to eat at the hotel.

Karon we found compared to last year very quiet and not much atmosphere at all - lots of bars and not much variety. Patong you have the cheap eats, fine dining in areas and shopping, nightlife but the beach is very average.

Holiday Inn has lots of families (pool was very busy all the time when we walked by) especially in school holiday seasons.

Last year we stayed at the Novotel at the end of Patong Beach which was quiet but still close enough to walk to Patong. They have some great restaurants at the hotel so you have options & reasonably priced.

We also looked the Mercure Resort which is away from the main noise in Patong and it is fairly new.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patong or Karon

Yes, Patong is the epitome of bad tourism. But at least it has a pulse !

The one night we visited Karon, it was like a ghost town by comparison. Was the only time I felt a little nervous walking the streets - there's a certain comfort in numbers. Admittedly, it was low season. There was one singer in a half empty bar, trying so hard to entice us into her establishment, it was bordering on pathetic.

And have never experienced "brown" beach water in Patong ???

Scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patong or Karon

Wildo, you asked why would a Scottish person go to Thailand over Europe?

The UK pound sterling is in a sorry state in terms of exchange rate to the Euro - down £1 = 1.4 euro, to just about £1 for 1 euro (and for that matter, the US dollar is about $1.40 to the £1 compared with nearly $2 to £1 start last year when we went to Vegas & San Diego). Holidays to the usual Spanish etc resorts are way down this year. Just about anyone I know who is going on hol is going to Turkey (not in the Euro Zone), Dubai etc.

We got a great deal to Phuket: the cost of a fortnight in Thailand was believe it or not about the same as a fortnight in Tenerife (Spanish island off the African coast, currency Euro). Plus we love to travel - escape the egg n' chips lot :-) We'll be travelling for about a day: Glasgow to London (about 1 hour flight), 6 hours wait at Heathrow, London to Hong Kong (about 12 hours), then Hong Kong to Phuket (4 hours??)

2 days to go.... will be starting to pack soon - yippeeee