We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical treatment in Phuket

W. Sussex
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Medical treatment in Phuket

I'm hoping to travel to Phuket in July August. I'm aware of media hype regarding this latest outbreak of swine flu,and although it doesn't bother me,(I've travelled a lot), it has been declared a Level 5 outbreak by the WHO and when you're making decisions for your young child you do think twice.

I've heard hospitals in Thailand are really good, but does anyone know how prepared they are with stockpiles of Tamiflu (their version is Relenza I think. In the UK there is enough for 30 million. In rich western countries we have big stock piles, but I heard Thailand has only around 1 million for their population, with capacity to make 1 million more.

If I was travelling tomorrow it wouldn't be an issue, but by July at the rate it's going, it might be.... I only said it might be!

Also, Q2: are there good hospitals around Phuket or do you have to travel to Bangkok.

Ps Smug Forum dwellers, offering advice such as 'you should stay at home and wrap up in cotton wool', 'you worry too much' and 'you can get it in England' need not reply. I already know. I'm now trying to find out how what treatment would be like if lightening did strike.

So far people who've died from these things have been from rural areas, I think, and I just don't know what Phuket is like, having never been.

Thanks in advance for sensible replies.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

There are two decent hospitals in Phuket, and a dozen excellent ones in Bangkok, just over anhours flight. The Thai government have been very proactive about swine flu, more so than some western governments. I can't say what stocks are available but obviously if Thailand becomes seriously affected, there could be a shortage.

W. Sussex
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

Thanks. That's good to know about the hospitals...just in case.

When you say they've been proactive about swine flu, can you say in what way?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

In my opinion, the Bangkok Phuket Hospital is better than any hospital in Perth. I have used both emergency and regular services. I would rather need a hospital in Phuket than in Perth.

Sunshine Coast
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

Hi

My wife and i have just travelled through Thailand and we stayed at Phuket for 9 days. I contacted a virus after the 3rd day and have not been to succesfully shake the bug until i arrived home and went and saw my own doctor. Please bear in mind that you can obtain any drug you wish just about at the chemist and they are quite helpful with there suggestions, but i feel though that our antibiotics are far more stronger than theres. Because some of the ones they gave me i could not find on the drug list when i googled.

We had spent 33days travelling Thailand,Cambodia and KL and i was concerned that i may had contacted the Swine virus because we where on 11 different planes during travel which had carried many Europeans,and Westerners. He put my fear at rest by saying the first few days are the telling ones and it is only then that they give you a drug to suppress the darn thing.

I think you are right in enquiring but i feel that Thailand will make sure there covered with the quantity of the drug because there biggest income earner is Tourists and there pork industry.

Have a good talk to your GP and maybe you can buy the drug and take it with, also see if he will give you and family the Flu needle.

Hope you have a great time a have plenty of money for Tuk-Tuks if you are out of town because they are a rip off

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

If you are traveling to Thailand in July or August visit your Doctor and get your family to take the Flu shots now as i think they are good for a year.

I may be wrong but if you contract the Flu i don't think the shot will work, i think it has to get into your immune system before you catch it not after!!

Please check with your Doctor as they will have all the updated information on this issue.

Cheers,

Pete.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,718 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

Hi,

I agree with Athena. We had to go to the Bangkok Phuket Hospital, albeit for minor dental work, and were so impressed by the level of service and efficiency. Friends in Khao Lak who have had cause to go there for more serious reasons were very complimentary about it, particularly in comparison with the hospital service in their own country.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

Both The Phuket International and Bangkok Phuket Hospitals here are great. I have been treated by both and thank my lucky stars that I did not have to go back to South Africa for treatment.

Have a great holiday.

Chantal.

W. Sussex
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

Thanks Athena,

But bad luck on having to use the hospital so many times on holiday!

W. Sussex
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

A great reply - thank you. You can't get hold of it here to take with you unfortunately. I've been doing a bit more research and I'm leaning towards going. The virus incubates for up to a week and by the time we travel (late July), there'll be a clearer picture of the viruses spread to countries like Thailand. If it's really bad the FCO will advise against travel and we'll get our money back... I hope!

From what I've heard one or two million shots of Tamiflu/Relenza ain't enough for a population of 65 million, but by then, we should know how widespread (or not) the virus) is.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medical treatment in Phuket

Thanks Thoroughmare, but as we're in Phuket for 6 months of the year, I tend to go to the hospitals more often than a tourist would. Also, I go to the hospital if I wish to see a doctor, rather than a clinic.

For your information, though. When I attended the Emergency Department, it was after a dog bite on my mouth. I was taken straight through into a consulting room, laid on a bed and was cleaned up whilst my details were taken from my partner. No such thing as waiting in the waiting area if you have an injury or serious problem. In Perth you can wait anywhere up to 12 hours in Emergency. I couldn't believe how amazing it was. 50 stitches and a day later, I was out of there. My partner was allowed to stay in my private room with me for the night too.