We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping

I appreciate that this will probably end up as a debate rather than factual advice, however I would ask, in what circumstances should one tip in Phuket?

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

In all cases if the service is good. These poor buggers work anything up to 90 hour weeks with no time off for about 2000 baht per week average. A 50 baht tip is always appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

I always tip, I have no set rule, small change, small note, whatever, but I do always tip - at home in Melbourne I don't always tip.

We played it as it came, do what you think is right in the situation as you would at home.

London
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

I find in bars change normally arrives in 20 baht notes - so tend to leave 20 baht. Same with restaurants depending on bill and number in party normally no more than 50 baht. My taxi back to airport last time, I discovered that I had no small notes for tip. Taxi driver just said dont worry my friend and no problem because could not give him a tip. Dont forget this is Thailand and not go overboard and equate Thai salaries to western salaries.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,063 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

20ß baht is the standard tip.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

House keeping for cleaning room always 20 baht tip every 2nd or 3rd day. Concierge - 50 baht tip on arrival none on departure as we always take our own luggage down. Restaurant - depending on the change and if its a restaurant we eat at regularly as we have our favourites 100 baht. During the trip with our small change we give to the little kids in the streets who are with their parent selling things. Pool staff is we have had a regular person look after us the whole time at hotel we will give 500 baht.

They work so hard for such little money - every little bit counts.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Tipping is not expected, though the overtipping by some tourists is changing this.

Round up the bill in a restaurant if the service was good, but no more tan 20 baht or so.

50 Baht to a masseuse and about 100 Baht for a guide, but again only if the service was good. It is certainly not necessary nor even expected to tip hotel staff.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

One final point - definitely do not give tips or money to children. This encourages begging.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Have to agree with RC. Handing over coins/money to kids is not in their best interests, no matter how warm and fuzzy it might make you feel.

London
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

Also if a particular member of staff gives you good service place the tip in their hand or pocket so they keep it personally.

10. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 08:30