We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Gluten Free" in Phuket

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
17 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
"Gluten Free" in Phuket

You guys are full of information thank you... Has anyone had to contend with a Gluten Free diet in Patong? Any tips would be welcome...Ta Rob

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Gluten Free" in Phuket

maybe you can be a little more specific about things you can and cant eat?

Western Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Gluten Free" in Phuket

I have to be gluten free as well. I haven't stayed in Patong but have visited Phuket and will be back there in a couple of weeks. I go every year to Thailand and Lao or somewhere else in the region. - Same again this year!!!!

If you like asian food you are ahead to start with of course as gluten is not in common use but you still have to be careful. First try a search on the Thai forum as a whole - I know I've written about it before.

Things I do - I take a card printed in english and thai saying that I'm "allergic" to gluten/wheat/bread etc. I also take one version in French to help in countries like Lao and it also helps where the chefs could be French speaking. These are available on the net to print out - check my old post - if you can't find it then I'll send links in a day or so.

I contact my hotel by email ahead of time and ask to speak to the chef soon after arrival and talk to him about whats on the menu. Without fail the hotels have been very willing to help. I don't ask for anything special but just want to know what I must avoid on the menu. Sometimes they go out of their way a lot and try to make me breads etc. I am happy if they don't as I really like to try other things and you know the bread's not going to be all that wonderful anyway. Often the hotel will assist you in other restaurants by ringing ahead and explaining for you.

Last time in Phuket we went out on the John Gray Canoes - they were very helpful but despite trying they really didn't understand so I just went down into the galley and checked packets of flour myself - they serve tempura style seafood but use a packet mix and it has wheat flour in it. Otherwise you just really need to do as you would at home.

We were staying up at Surin beach last time and by chance went to an Italian restaurant with a wood oven - my husband wanted to try the pizzas. It turned out that the Thai owner/chef was also gluten intolerant so I was well looked after - great food all round and very reasonable too. Wonderful risotto.

There are great nibbles to watch out and try - cashew of course but also fried banana chips to kill for and wonderful little rice crackers - like little puff rice stuck together - often called watermelon rice or similar - they have a little watermelon juice thats been drizzled on top and the whole lot is crispy and lovely.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
17 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Gluten Free" in Phuket

Thanks for the replies.. Both my 10 year old daughter & myself are diagnosed Coeliac so we avoid wheat , barly ,oats, & rye. These ingredients are usually in breads,biscuits,sauces eg soy sauce, gravy. However we can have meat, veg, fruit,eggs , cheese,rice etc, so we don't starve. I guess I was enquiring as to what the supermarkets are like. We will be in Patong Beach in a self contained villa from 8th July-24th July 09, but we would love to eat out if/where possible. We are unable to eat fast food. But I think we would could have seafood, green curries & maybe stir fry. Again, Thank you.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Gluten Free" in Phuket

Becareful I think soy sauce has wheat in it. I don't know why this comes to mind, but as I am always checking ingredients for MSG I think I saw this.

They use it in many things.

5. Re: "Gluten Free" in Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 06:25