We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over Patong!!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Over Patong!!!

Who would have thought?

We stayed 2N/1D in Patong and could not wait to leave and get to Krabi

I shall never return to Patong again. What a dirty disgusting place. i can't believe i used to love it.

This was the 4th time back and definitely the last.

It was full of seedy men, everywhere! the worst ive seen.

Patong is so so expensive now, it's actually a joke. Don't buy your shopping here, go to bangkok and save your money. The people are aggressive.

Real leather Jimmy Choo bags - the lowest price in Patong 4,000 baht - Bangkok 2,000 baht.

I know so many of you love Patong and i know i did too, but i'm over it. There is nothing Thailand about this place.

P.s we stayed at Sala Thai in Patong - this place is good value for money!!!

Izzy x

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over Patong!!!

Hi Izzy,

hope you are having a great time!!

I know how you feel about Patong. I felt the same last year on our second visit....I think that the thing that got me most was the rip off transport. By the end of the visit it was a sore point!!!

But having said that we are going again this August only because I was outvoted. My sister wants to go see the Big Budha finished.

Hopefully if shopping is so bad we will spend more time relaxing....something we say we will do each holiday!!

Cheers

Karin

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Over Patong!!!

Hi Karrin,

Unfortunately we are home now from our big trip!! Very sad to be back in freezing Melbourne. I am going to Bali for New yrs. I have never been so looking forward to somewhere new.

I know many people still love Patong, it is a great party place with a group of people but i'd prefer Koh Samui for going out, it just has more of a Thailand feel being on the beach etc rather than seedy bars. But it can't be helped!

Going on holidays is always fantastic so i'm sure you will have a fab time! xxx

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over Patong!!!

I had the same feelings going back this year, it seems like things have gotten more expensive. They have the rudest more pushy vendors I have encountered, they grab your arm as you walk buy and try to pull you into their stall. At first I was going to spend a few days in Patong, but after one night I left to Phi Phi for a few and then to Koh Lanta for a week.

Level Contributor
2,308 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over Patong!!!

We have just visited Phuket for our first time having been to Krabi a couple. We actualy liked what we saw of Phuket, being the fantastic hotel we stayed in, the day trip to Phi Phi and other islands and Kata for a bit of shopping, we did not go any where near Patong so cannot comment but from what we saw we would definitely go back.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Over Patong!!!

Just got back .. 4th visit... not a great time of year to go . Thats the risk of going low season.

There were no families, it was the quietest i have seen Patong.

I found the prices were higher for tuk tuks but lower for foot massage and beer.

More of the markets seem to have been overtaken by a particular ethnic group who are much more aggressive and far less fun than the thai people.

The onshore breeze ruined the beaches ..i have never seen so much garbage just left lying on any beach in the world.

On the other hand family activities were deserted and we had many places to ourselves where the staff were so happy just to see us.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Over Patong!!!

Oh dear, we were thinking of taking a drive into Patong at the end of the year as we haven't ventured in there for a while.

Anyway Izzy glad you enjoyed Ao Nang.

Cheers. CJ

Aus
Level Contributor
142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Over Patong!!!

I am in Phuket now and agree. Patong is a toilet.

We luckily made the decision to stay in Kata. It is beautuful and really quiet and friendly. I certainly wouldnt write off Phuket as there are plenty of nice spots out of tourist central Patong.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Over Patong!!!

We stay in Karon when we go to Phuket. It's so much quieter and less seedy than Patong. We always spend one day in Patong just to see the sights (and to pat ourselves on the back when we can escape to sanity!) And to shop at Carrefours, of course.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Over Patong!!!

It has of course changed just so much. I have seen Patong change over a period of 20 years. We lived for some years but left simply because it was changing too fast and was not the place we loved before.

We never needed shopping malls or the development, tropical island beach was what it was all about, busy always, yes, but not over-so. Thai restaurants along the beach road went years ago to be replaced by pubs and fast food places.

What is sad though is that so many miss out on what attracted people in the first place because those attractions have gone. Phuket is a lovely island and I hope so much that people do not think of all Phuket or all Thailand from Patong.

Thailand has always attracted visitors for the beauty of the country and the people, the lifestyle, the smiles. It is still here, all over.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Over Patong!!!

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments.

I am purely speaking of Patong only and not Phuket. The rest of the island is just gorgeous especially Karon and Kata.

I feel Patong is totally ruined now, so i would never stay in that area again.

Mainly all the vendors are Burmese, they are very annoying and can be aggressive at times.

Cheers,

Izzy