We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange rates at resorts

sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
money exchange rates at resorts

hi, i am traveling to patong Thailand in a few days- ive decided to take cash rather than the travelers cheques. can anyone advise me the rough rates the exchange booths charge in hotel resorts?? thanks

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Trisara
Trisara
#2 of 35 hotels in Choeng Thale
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 335 hotels in Patong
Andara Resort and Villas
Andara Resort and Villas
#1 of 36 hotels in Kamala
Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money exchange rates at resorts

It won't be anywhere as good as what you could get on the street. There are money changers on just about every corner in Patong. Don't use the hotel to change your cash. Have a good holiday. Jane

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
963 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange rates at resorts

I agree, money changers or banks will give you a better rate than hotels.

I too bring cash and change it here although i have a Thai bank account to change it into, which might be something to think about if you come often or are bringing a lot of money.

Kasikorn bank seems to be friendliest with tourists and you can walk in with your passport and money and walk out 40 minutes later with an ATM card that can be used anywhere in Thailand. Fees are minimal that way also.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange rates at resorts

OK, I'll consider it, thank you both kindly for your help.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,568 posts
2,161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money exchange rates at resorts

Use some of your cash at the airport to exchange, you will get stung at the hotel, whose exchange rate are always lower.

For the rest there are plenty of money changers at Phuket.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: money exchange rates at resorts

You might like to change your mind and take some traveller's cheques. Purchase them at Australia Post in $AUD and pay no commission. Thai banks give a slightly better exchange rate for the cheques as opposed to Aussie dollars.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
159 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money exchange rates at resorts

Just got back on Saturday, and we were getting around 25 to 25.7 baht to the dollar at the exchange booths on the streets, rather than the resorts. The AUD finally seems to be coming up a little.

Sylvs

7. Re: money exchange rates at resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 05:33