We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying budha images to bring home

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
buying budha images to bring home

I have been told that Thailand customs do not allow you to bring home budha images eg: statues, prints etc is this true

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying budha images to bring home

no.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying budha images to bring home

It is true if they know you have them. An export license is required for all Buddha images, except small amulets.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying budha images to bring home

Heres a few links for you to look at Sharon and John.

thailandmuseum.com/OfficeMuseum/export-en.htm

customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/…

…suite101.com/article.cfm/buying_buddha_imag…

phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp…

We have bought home quite a few small Buddha statues over the years in our luggage, but last year bought a much bigger one and had it shipped home.

We had to have the relevant licence, approval, photos of the statue etc etc and it takes a few days. (This was not for a Buddha it was a Monk and due to his high ranking permission had to be given).

Cathy

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying budha images to bring home

Exporting antique Buddhas requires a lot of paperwork. Anyway before doing this, consider whether in fact you should even be taking them out of the country. You are taking a part of Thailand's heritage with you. Should you really be doing this?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying budha images to bring home

Not the OP was referring to antiques, but the same rules apply.

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying budha images to bring home

we have bought plenty of buddah statues etc & never had a worry, i think what they are referring to is antiques & the like

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying budha images to bring home

I am not a buddist so I have never bought them home, but I have seen many buddists at Adelaide airport being able to keep them , I am sure the authentic buddas in Patong will be fine to take home

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: buying budha images to bring home

Hawk1991 is right, its only the very very old Buddhas not the ones in all the markets and stalls !

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying budha images to bring home

The export of antiques etc is prohibited. Anything you can buy in a shop is okay but always get a certificate for more expensive items.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying budha images to bring home

So many foreigners know better than a Thai it seems.

The law says (whether enforced or not is different) that any image of the Lord Buddha (except small amulets) may not be removed from the country without an export licence - plus antiques require an additional permit. If customs find a Buddha statue and decide to enforce the law, you'll be looking a hefty fines at least.