We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

Just planning a trip to Phuket with the family (3 teenagers) at the last minute. We're going in June/July. I like the look of Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort, Chalong bay, but I'm not sure about its location. Can anyone tell me if it is far from Kata beach? We have friends who will be staying there, and while we don't want to live in each others' pockets, we do want to get together regularly and don't want that to be a hassle.

On the map it looks reasonably accessible (by tuk-tuk?) but just want to be sure.

Also, can you comment on the resort? It has very favourable reviews - but we will be staying in the Serenity room, the cheapest option. Is this ok? (it's a budget restriction, I'm afraid ... not planning to upgrade as we need 2 rooms))

Cheers

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

I'm hoping sometimes in the week of 1 June to have some time and pay Serenity a visit to check it out. Till that time I can't tell you anything about the resort itself, but do know the location.

Count on a 20 minute, I guess 400 Baht, tuktuk ride to Kata. The resort is more or less half way between Chalong and Rawai, right opposite the start of the road to Kata.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
890 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

I live right across the street (just about)

It is a brand new place and still has a little bit of construction going on (final touches)

I have walked through and it is nice.

Right on the beach although this beach is on the eastern side of PHuket (vs Kata beach which is on the cleaner, western side)

The swimming is not very good from the beach.

High tide only and then the water is not so clean there. (many shrimp farms nearby)

But the views are excellent. (and their pool looks very nice)

If your room has a seaview (i think most of them do), it'll be nice.

Yes, it is about a 20-30 minute ride (depending on traffic) to Kata. There are not that many tuk tuks around this area although I imagine they can call one up for you. I would guess the 400 baht guess-timate is about right. (one way of course)

There are a few locals in this area who have taxi service. PM me if you need phone numbers although i think the resort would have some available also.

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
377 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

Would 3 teenagers like being alittle to isolated. I wouldn't mind but the kids may do.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

The photos are beautiful and the views are nice but if you walk out of the reosrt you are near nothing of interest.

With 3 teenager I would recommend Kata or Karon where they can take a surf lesson, do Thai boxing, walk to the beach, walk to shops, walk to by an ice cream or crisp....

western australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

I would have to agree with the previous posters. There is nothing worse than a bored teenager, let alone 3 of them! I think it would be better for you to stay somewhere with a few other options than just the resort. Especially since you have friends staying in Kata. You will find that travelling by tuk-tuk gets very tiresome after a day or two of it.

The beach at Kata is lovely and will keep the kids occupied for a while, while you kick back and have a drink or two on the beach with your friends.

Cheers

Sara

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

Thanks everyone!

I LOVE TripAdvisor forums! You guys are so helpful, and you've answered all my questions, with really relevant advice. (Glad you understand the needs of teeenagers - happy teenagers make happy parents!)

I am very grateful for your help, and now I know where we should stay.

Cheers

Malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

Not sure about the state of the water on the west coast of Phuket at that time of year so definitely no beach activities for the kids and surfing, hmmm.

I have had a lunch at Outrigger Serenity Terraces and saw a family going out on the resort speed boat on the flat sea to the neighboring islands which are 5 minutes away, and the water is flat on the east coast all year round. Also this place has wireless all through the place, free, so the modern teen (at least mine!) were surfing the net around the pool area. Saw another family jumping in the kayaks together as the water is shallow at the resort beach front so perfect and safe for a family paddle.

The one GOOD thing about this area compared with the west coast is you have none of the “seedier” side of Thailand that I would not expose my teenagers to which there is around the Kata/Karon area, not as much as Patong but it is there.

I am a fan of quality family time and outdoor activities so would actually disagree and recommend Outrigger but that is the good thing – different opinions!

8. Re: Outrigger Serenity Terraces Resort - a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2009, 05:43