We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

hi, we arrive in phuket in exactly 4 weeks time and were thinking we would like to bring a gift for our driver Kom. We are not sure though what would be appropriate. perhaps some typically tasmanian souvenir of some kind or is that too corny? Does anyone who has used kom before know if he is married or has kids?

we will be sure not to forget the licorice allsorts for cpt mark.

thanks for your assistance

might seem a bizarre question but its our first trip to phuket .

michelle

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

The most appropriate thing is a generous tip at the end of your stay if he does a good job.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

Hi Michelle

I agree with Dragonc. A generous tip would be greatly appreciated (if the service is good).

Also tell Ct Mark that Liquorice Allsorts are now available at the new Villa Market in Chalong. I have also bought them at the supermarket next to Marina Cottages in Karon.

Have a great holiday.

Chantal.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

What a nice gesture. I think something that is made in Australia and that can not be bought here. Thai's are typically not fond of Chocolate but from what I understand they really like fancy tins!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

I agree with those who suggest a nice tip.

Gifts of knick knacks are nice but these people do their jobs to earn a living.

They do it to buy shoes for their kids, pay the electric bill, pay their medical bills - none of which a knick knack will do for them.

This is a particularly SLOW low season and anyone who works in services is feeling the pinch, so help them out financially.

Though Thais will always be very gracious when offered a nicety from your homeland - don't forget that they too MUST PAY THE BILLS at the end of each month.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

I totally agree with you Kingfisher. Money is what these people need especially with this very low season. Rather let them spend their money on their own specific needs than receive gifts that could not be of any use to them or their families.

Chantal

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

Hi Michelle,

We've used Kom several times on trips to Phuket and have met his family on one trip when 9 of us were travelling together. He invited us all to his home where his wife and friends prepared a wonderful Thai meal for us (we gave him some money to go the markets and buy seafood). It was a lovely evening and we got to know his family and friends - he has a young daughter aged about 14 now, I think.

As mentioned by others, a good tip at the end of your trip is always appreciated, but last time we also took him a cap with the Southern Cross on it plus small handbags with Australiana on them for his wife and daughter. Just tokens, but he appreciated it.

Enjoy your trip, and I'm sure Kom will look after you well. Tell him Sylvia & Trevor said Sawasdee.

Sylvs

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

Well, you could always tip, but take a gift as well. From my experience, Thais really appreciate food and I haven't met one yet that didn't go nuts for macadamias. Food is one of the main national pasttimes in Thailand - after sleeping, or maybe before. I think both are equally popular : )

Small souvenirs for kids such as Australiana pens that light up (or not) are well received, because they can take them to school and show off something different.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

so how much would be considered to be generous for 7 nights for a couple of hours per day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

When are you going we are also using Kom from 27 June.?? Would also be interested in good tipping amount?

Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: gift for our driver Kom? wot is appropriate?

Yeah, I want to know too. I am flying off tomorrow and still have no idea.