We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand

uk
6 posts
Save Topic
Thailand

I am travelling to Phuket on the 25th July and will be staying there for 10 nights but also spending 3 nights on Phi Phi Island. I was wondering if you could suggest how much money per day I will need. I already have accomodation booked for both resorts on bed and breakfast. Can you let me know what to expect weather wise at this time, whether it is best to take currency or travellers cheques etc. Also if you could recommend places to eat and things to do near both Dusit Thani Laguna and Phi Phi Island resort it would be much appreciated. Thank You very much for your help and I look forward to your reply.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
900 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand

Oh, it's so hard to say how much money you need.

Will you be shopping? For Thai made things or at the more expensive malls?

Will you be eating mostly at Laguna or trying some local food?

Will you be going out to the Patong bars and ringing the bell at the bars?

Hard to advise without knowing you.

The weather will most likely be cloudy with some days with good sun and some days with rain. Usually when it rains, it doesn't last too long although there has been some full day or 2 day rains in July/August.

The Laguna resorts tend to try to keep you there.

There isn't a whole lot going on in that area otherwise although there are massage places, some local bars, restaurants etc.

Patong of course is the hot spot for nightlife.

It can get wild and crazy around Bangla road.

Kamala is a bit more subdued as is Surin although i don't get up that way too much to judge.

If you could describe your interests a little more, it may help giving you some advice on things you might like.

I haven't been to Phi Phi for over a year now so will let others handle that part of your request.

Have fun!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand

Fiddledude is absolutely right. You need to get out of the big resorts. We stayed in one down Rawai way when we first visited in 1989. We certainly enjoyed ourselves but it was not until nearly the end of our stay that we discovered what lay outside. Have never made that 'mistake' again!

A friend and I have put together a tip sheet over the 15 years or so we have been visiting Patong.

It is a sort of 'quick start' for your holiday and was originally prepared for local friends and acquaintances in our home town of Dunedin, New Zealand intending to holiday in Phuket.

It suggests places to go, places to eat and, of course, places to shop as well as information on things like drinking water, currency exchange and so on! Something to carry with you and totally non-commercial.

If you would like a copy, just email me: rfdunedin@ymail.com.

3. Re: Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 07:21