We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

karon beach or kata beach?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
154 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
karon beach or kata beach?

We can't decide betweeen Karon of Kata. Family with young children. Hotel choies are Centara Karon Beach or Kata Beach Resort. Can we please have some feedback on the hotels, beaches, restaurants and shops at both places. thank you

adelaide
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

My sister/in/law has just returned last month and stayed at the Kata Resort had a ball loved the place =and Kata has a lot more restaurants than Karon +the Kata resort is on the beach they could not complain about any thing =as for the Centara it is 7min from the beach and hard to keep track of the kids if they are across the road with the you can sit in the pool and watch them =Bela vista is a great place to eat with the kids and plenty of smaller places all the way along the beach toooooooooooo many to mention ==you"love it. Pete48

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

You can't get more beachfront and great location then Kata Beach Resort. The pool overlooks the beach and is very nice as is the hotel. Walk out the front and everything you need is there.. cheap restuarnts, nice restaurants, banks, shopping, convenience store.

Kata Beach is a bit smaller but not lacking in anything... Just a bit cozier I think then Karon. Kata Beach is not as long as Karon but for me I prefer it over Karon. Also the Road beside the beach is shaddy with large trees and only Club Med is next to it.

Where as in Karon you have the beach and the road with no nice trees and then a view of traffic, hotels, shops houses, bars, etc...

Not sure about facilities for children but these are my opinions on Kata Beach vs Karon.

(and crossing the street in Karon is hazardous).

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

How young is young ?

Stayed at both, both great for different reasons. Your experience can be very much affected by the room you are in, more so at Centara. If I was you, I'd split your trip and stay at both. It's only about a ten minute drive between them.

KBR is right on the beach, and a very nice beach it is too, arguably better than Karon as generally it's a little gentler. We stayed in a deluxe room, which I'd recommend for the view. We were on the first floor in the 2 story section alongside the pool - IMO, the best location there. Breakfast was a very good version of the ubiquitous smorgasbord, with exceptionally good croissants (once carefully and gently heated. warning, can end in flames !) Didn't notice any kids club. KBR is really a "grown-ups" hotel, but if your kids are say, under 8, it will suit just fine. It's hard to beat staying right on the beach. Restaurants and a few shops are at your doorstep. It was very quiet when we were there in May.

CK is located down a side street just off the main road, that leads to the beach road. The OP said 7 minutes to the beach, I wont argue. The road on the beach can have fast moving traffic, but it's not hard to cross in low season, just be patient, or cross past the roundabout. The hotel itself had lovely grounds, and nice pool areas around the Lagoon section and Tropicale section. The Terraces section is very much an eyesore initially, but you soon get used to it. It's a huge tower block they don't show you in the hotel photo's, all they ever show is the lagoon and tropicale section. The rooms there are nice, but it can be hard to get over that "commission housing" feel. The pool at the terraces is the least kid friendly. Young family, I'd stay at the Lagoon section. Great pool for kids, looked a good kids club. Breakfast was not as good as KBR, but still good. Staff were great, cheeky, funny. More shops and I'd say more restaurants (I'm not counting girly bars as restaurants) than Kata, all close to the hotel. It had a more authentic, old-asia run-down feel than Kata, I liked it, and it's colourful terrace buildings. Still, better to spend a rainy day shopping in Patong and Phuket town than shopping at either Kata or Karon.

In the finish, if you wont split your stay, I'd stay at the KBR in a deluxe room if I was more worried about the parents having a good time, and the CK if I was worried about the kids having a good time.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

Actually, stuff the kids, I'd stay at the KBR ! You really just can't go past staying on the beach.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

Yes, the KBR has by far the better location.

Have a great holiday.

Chantal.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

Hi dingo_joe, I'd choose Kata Beach resort for location alone. Apart from the beach proximity, you are a stone's throw from shops, restaurants and really good atmosphere etc out the back door. We stayed at Kata Palm and walked past the KBR many times and it's much closer to all that you might want out outside your hotel.

Lee

Brisbane
Level Contributor
154 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

Thanks everyone - for some really great advise.

Looks like the Kata Beach Resort might be the one !

Also - any suggestions on tailors ?????

I realise there are hundreds - can anyone recommend close to Kata - but I'm prepared to go to Karon or even Patong if needed.

We are not travelling until late October 09. Looking at the weather charts, there is still plenty of rainfall in October, I hope this comes in short sharp bursts with plenty of sunshine in between.

Really looking forward to this holiday, we'll split our time with most days in Kata - and some at Khao Lak.

Thanks again and any feedback on tailors appreciated.

DJ

Brisbane
Level Contributor
154 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

Thanks everyone - for some really great advise.

Looks like the Kata Beach Resort might be the one !

Also - any suggestions on tailors ?????

I realise there are hundreds - can anyone recommend close to Kata - but I'm prepared to go to Karon or even Patong if needed.

We are not travelling until late October 09. Looking at the weather charts, there is still plenty of rainfall in October, I hope this comes in short sharp bursts with plenty of sunshine in between.

Really looking forward to this holiday, we'll split our time with most days in Kata - and some at Khao Lak.

Thanks again and any feedback on tailors appreciated.

DJ

9. Re: karon beach or kata beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 07:20