We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

Melbourne
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

I am heading to Phuket on 26th June and am not sure whether to shop in Phuket or to wait for KL (copy gear) and Singapore where it will be mega sale time - any advice???

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

Hi Betty, Phuket is good for shopping but KL is absolutely amazing and cheaper, I would pick up a few things in Phuket if you see some things that you really like, but save the rest for KL. The night markets for copy gear in KL will blow you away!!

The big department stores also have huge sales, happy shopping. Sue

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

We are going from Phuket to KL too - loved the shopping last year in Phuket but would be interested in recommendations of shopping in KL as I have 4 days there - love the atmosphere of markets so any info would be great :-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

Thanks Sue,

very excited and counting down the days!!

Cheers

Kate

western australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

in KL if you like the atmosphere of markets etc. go to Petaling Street aka Chinatown, all cab drivers know where it is.

You may also find Central Markets interesting, its more arts & crafts from the different nationalities that inhabit KL. You can walk there from Chinatown.

Ive just come back from KL & as per usual Chinatown & Central markets didnt let me down. Plenty of bargains.

I also found that store in Sungei Wang Plaza were willing to discount goods quite alot for your business, as they seem to be down on tourist numbers because of the global downturn, according to the store owners we spoke to.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

Out of curisioty how does KL compare for shopping and things to do with Bangkok, ive never been that struck on KL but am wondering whether we should add it on to our trip this year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

We were in KL last year and I have to agree that bags etc. in Petaling Street were much cheaper than Thailand. However, the stall holders were much more aggressive than any I encountered in Phuket or Bangkok, which made shopping a not so pleasant experience.

I agree with the previous poster that Sungei Wang is a great shopping area, where they are willing to discount, but I don't think it was as good as MBK in Bangkok.

Deb

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

You are in the right time for the Great singapore Sale- GSS.

http://www.greatsingaporesale.com.sg/2009/

western australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

i cant comment on the comparisons of shopping between KL & Bangkok, having not been to Bangkok as yet. Im taking my first trip to Phuket in August for 19 days :)

I can tell you that bags & shoes are great value in KL, whether from the markets or the geniune article from the stores.

Geniune subglasses are amazingly cheap as well.

This past trip i bought a pair of Armani (geniune) for $167 Aus. from a great place i visit each trip. The same ones in Perth $350 plus.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
1,773 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

I found KL for shopping.

if the sales are on in Singapore it would be worth looking for genuine products if they have been suitably discounted.

10. Re: Shopping - phuket or KL/Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 06:19