We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phuket versus Koh Smui

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
179 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
phuket versus Koh Smui

hi , my wife and i are planning on Thailand for x-mas. Having previously visited Krabi , Ko Lanta and Hua Hin , we are torn between Phuket and Samui.

We would like a great beach , quality hotel , my wife likes to scuba dive and i would like to play abit of golf.

While we could eat in the hotel , my wife is a chef and would be keen to eat authentic thai food , "street food etc"

Any feedback we would be grateful for.

we looked at Mom Tris Villa Royale and Twin palms for Phuket , and Tongsai Bay for Samui

Bernay, France
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

Personally I prefer Phuket ! You have much more possibilities of activities, tours, snorkelling, sailing, and shopping, as well as much better restaurants and bars than Ko Samui. Samui has a more rustic feel, it has expanded quiet fast and I believe the quality of service has been left behind and is lower than in Phuket (except a few hotels & resorts).

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

If you go to Koh Samui, you can also get the ferry across to Koh Tao which is world famous for scuba diving.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

Hi,

I have been to both. Koh Samui is not as busy as Phuket however in saying that it does depend where you go. Prob more tours etc to do from Phuket.

I actually stayed at Twin palms in early 2008 and loved it. We are heading back again in 3 weeks! Modern, beautiful resort on a great beach (short walk). It is approx 20 mins to Patong nightlife so prob a little far if you are wanting to be out partying most nights!

Enjoy where ever you decide

Cheers

Kate

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
986 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

Hi

We have also been to both and enjoyed both, however, my preference would be Phuket as there is so much more to do and see there. You have a choice of beaches to explore all of them lovely, there are numerous tours available and other islands to visit and it can be as lively or as quiet as you want it to be. Also there is a huge variety of food options in Phuket 100`s of places from street food to fine dining in stunning locations. Mom Tri`s is very well regarded for food as well as accomodation.

We are going at xmas to Karon Beach which has everything that Patong offers only quieter more laid back and a better less busy beach. When we fancy a more lively night out we will only be 10 mins away from Patong. Have a look at The Sala Pool Villas and the Marina Phuket as well both of these look beauriful.

Hope this helps.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

not sure which beach Twin palms is on ? Which hotel have you choosen in Karon beach?

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

Also visited both and would choose Phuket over Koh Samui, there is as others have said more to see and do. It has IMO a different feel then Samui

Stayed at Tongsi Bay also in Samui (over Xmas time), and to be honest really did not rate it, thought it was overpriced and needed a facelift, BUT this was a few years ago and belive not much has changerd since then. Also found it a bit quiet and out of the way, but you could as ever get taxis to more livelier places.

Wherever you decide have a great time!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

thanks for all the advice , have decided to pick Phuket . All i need now is to narrow down on hotel choice , between TwinPalms , Mom Tris and any other suggestions.

would like hotel near nice beach , not in middle of Patong but still close enough that we can get a taxi or tuk-tuk in ant night on a few occasions

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

we are doing the same going to Patong in 2 weeks, been to Phuket (Patong) and love it, but we will be going to Samui for 5 nights to check it out, when we asked the same question the answers where similar to whats been posted on here, but we will experience it for ourselves, i will post a JBR on our return so if youre interested stay tuned.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
986 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

Hi

Our choice is probably not as luxurious as you may want but it is a boutique hotel that gets ove 150 5 out of 5 reviews on here and is voted no 1 in the Karon area. Hotels generally triple their prices at xmas and a lot of them charge for compulsory gala dinners on xmas eve and new years eve, anywhere between £50 - £100 per head per meal and you cannot opt out. With that in mind and the fact that we are going away twice before that we decided to cap the budget for the accommodation. We are staying at the Pacific Club in a suite room which is huge. The rates quoted for over Christmas were brilliant compared to a lot of places and there are no compulsory gala dinners which are a rip off. We did a lot of research and e mailed about 10 hotels the majority of which did not even reply (apparently a lot of hotels only set their rates for xmas at the beginning of October).

If we wern`t paying such a premium for Christmas I would book the Sala pool villa or a room at the Marina which is right on the beach and is very beautiful.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: phuket versus Koh Smui

great . look forward to your trip report