We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swine Flu

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Swine Flu

Hi, I'm worried now the WHO have raised the alert to Pandemic for Swine flu, will this affect my plans to travel to Thailand next week

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swine Flu

Unless you have it you should be OK

I am also worried as we are going in 2 weeks & am scared we are going to get it before we go & ruin our plans

Visited our doctor & he gave us scripts for Tamiflu, he said to take it if we experience any signs as the tami flu nips the disease in the bud, hopefully we wont get it before we leave, but we will take the Tamiflu with us in case something happens over there.

His advice is practice good hygeine, avoid anyone with symptoms, we have all had our normal fluvax shots wich offers a small amount of protection, we all carrying around small bottles of hand sanitizer to clean our hands when we touch things like doors in shopping centres public buildings etc, and keeping at least 1 metre distance from people will help as the virus is contracted from airborn particles, and dont touch your mouth or nose after touching someone or something.

Good luck!!! for us all!!

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swine Flu

The influenza is now affecting more than 70 countries around the world, so this OP could be started in most of the forums at tripadvisor.

Not much advice can be given besides taking precautions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swine Flu

Technically it is a pandemic. Technically. As it's shown rapid contagion in 2 parts of the world at the same time (U.S. and Australia), it's classed as a pandemic. The actual numbers are quite small, and the total overall death rate is less than 0.5% (less than one in every 200 cases). That death rate is only so high as many died in Mexico before the danger was recognised. 99% of the deaths have been in Mexico and North America. Over 1,000 confirmed cases in Australia, no deaths. No confirmed cases in Phuket that I've heard about.

To put it in perspective, in Phuket you are 100 times more likely to die of a jellyfish sting or a boomslang bite than from swine flu (yes, I did make those odds up).

Don't worry about swine flu, I'd be more concerned about the immoral practices of the airlines who do not fix known problems immediately due to the cost of grounding their whole fleet all at once. This is a well documented (and scary) fact. They work out the cost of grounding their entire fleet, then work out the likelihood of a crash (eg one every 10 years) and the cost of paying out against all the lawsuits if one crashes. If the lawsuits total comes to less, they risk it, and fix up the problem when each plane comes in for maintenance, over the next 5 years or so.

Enjoy your holiday !

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swine Flu

Reported today in the Bangkok Post.

confirmed cases in thailand now stand at 48, 21 in Pattaya, this is a 300% increase compared to last week

health ministry confirms first 2 human to human transmissions

2 Bangkok schools closed for 7 days

Pattaya alert level at 5 (highest)

bkk3

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swine Flu

hawk

how are you meant to keep 1m apart if you're on the skytrain, MRT, plane, restaurant, MBK shopping centre. very impractical and impossible to follow, therefore poor advice.

and seeing that the virus can be breathed in which is the most common way of catching all types of flus, then anti this cream and anti that cream are not effective. most studies show this.

i cold go on about face masks, but short of a biosuit they're ineffective as well.

bkk3

western australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swine Flu

I would be more worried about Dengue fever. Swine flu has been blown way out of proportion by the media. If you looked at how many people died from or due to complication from the "normal" influenza every year you would be horrified..yet no-one blinks an eyelid

This new virus is more of a threat to newborns, the elderly, or those with compromised immune symptoms eg those on chemotherapy. As is ANY illness.

Just practice your normal infection control eg wash hands etc and go and enjoy your holiday!!!

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swine Flu

Thanks for everyones input. I was actually more worried about travel restrictions. That is, getting travel advice from the Australian Government not to travel overseas.

Cheers

California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swine Flu

I just read an article in Bangkok Post.

It seems that swine flu may outbraek in Thailand.

"Fears are growing that Thailand may be gripped by a severe outbreak of type-A (H1N1) influenza as the number of confirmed cases jumped sharply yesterday by 43 to a total of 89."

bangkokpost.com/news/local/18362/fears-mount…

Taiwan reports swine flu cases included at least 10 students who had traveled to Thailand.

www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php…

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swine Flu

There is at least 1 confirmed case in Phuket>>>

www.phuketgazette.net/dailynews/index.asp…

Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Swine Flu

I'd be more worried about the Chikungunya virus myself than Swine flu. There's been 85 confirmed cases in Phuket but reality is there are many more that haven't been included in that figure.