We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old maps for those interested

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Old maps for those interested

Here is a link to maps for the South East Asia region, including Thailand, for the late 60s early 70s, interesting to see the past. Click on a square to bring up a region, the click that map to see eight more detailed maps, which are clickable to download, between 2-5mb each.

http://www.nexus.net/~911gfx/sea-ao.html

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Old maps for those interested

Speaking of old maps . . .

I remember driving on a motorbike over the hill from Patong to Kamala in about 1993 - the road near the top of the hill was dirt then and very rough. We saw the very small village of Kamala from the summit or a bit past it and turned back as the road was so bad I was sure we would ruin the tires on the bike.

Yeah, things have changed a LOT.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old maps for those interested

I remember that bad road too. Those maps are very interesting Pokip, someone posted some time ago old photos for the 80's even and it was great to see, you could try and seach for that post, fascinating.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old maps for those interested

First trip was 1989. Stayed at Dusit Laguna, I think it had just opened not long before we got there.

Went into Patong once. Still remember being shocked to see those fat, lily-white German tourists with a thai girlfriend on each arm, lazing on the beach.

I'm pretty sure I remember the holiday inn in Patong, and another couple of big hotels, and a little market with surprisingly good avant-garde t-shirts. And playing tennis with new tennis balls, that heated up so much the bounce was absurd !

4. Re: Old maps for those interested

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2009, 05:34