We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel decision.....

Scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hotel decision.....

Hi peeps,

My partner and I are looking at staying 7 days in Phuket as part of our 18 days in Thailand next March and have narrowed it down to two hotel options.

Looking for some opinions/advice etc or just a good old discussion which will no doubt serve up some good points for us to think about.

We have been looking at staying at the Holiday Inn Phuket or the Hilton at Karon.

Holiday Inn in a Busakron Villa which does not include breakfast though or staying in a deluxe plus room with seaview and breakfast at the Hilton.

The Hilton option is about £200 cheaper and is swaying my decision including the breakfast, but things going through my mind are.

Would I enjoy it better staying at the Holiday Inn or Hilton.?

What is Karon like for restaurants and nightlife.? We enjoy eating out as part of our holiday at nice restaurants and a few drink in nice bars, not too into the old nightclubbing.

If we stayed at Karon, would it be easy and cheap enough to get into Patong a few nights to sample?

many other things to consider but i`ll start with the above.

All helpmuch appreciated.

Thanks..

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,881 posts
1,772 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

The HI is in the heart of Patong. You will have a hectic nightlife and plenty of places to eat, shop etc.

Karon is rather more sedate. There is a very good streatch of beach and a good slection of restaurants but the night life is more quieter.

The Hilton is at one end of Karon. Its about a 10-15 min walk to the main drag where the shops, bars are.

The one problem I had with Karon was that it was expensive to get a Tuk Tuk to Patong as the drivers act in a concert where they have fixed prices. It waqs cheaper to get back from Patong.

I would try to get my travel agent/hotel at HI to throw in breakfast.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

Hi Trueblue

We have just got back from 2 weeks in Thailand, we stayed at the Marina Resort Karon beach and would have to say it was fantastic. Have a look on their website. Its not the cheapest but was worth every penny.

There were loads of restaurants in Karon & Kata to choose from so no problem on the eating front. The retaurant at our hotel served some excellent sea food and has spectacular views as its built on the rocks looking out on to Karon beach

Like you guys were past all that clubbing every night malarchy but enjoy visiting a few good bars. We certainly didnt run out of options!! note - Keep off the Samsong rum, the hangovers are painfull.

We went into Patong a couple of times in a Tuk Tuk, it took about 10-15 minutes and cost 200B (£4.00),im not sure if thats a good price but we were happy to pay it.

I would recommend a trip to Phi Phi, its one of the most beautiful places I have ever visisted, we only stayed for 3 nights and didnt want to leave.

Hope this helps and gives you a little food for thought.

Scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

Thanks for the replies.

Some good info.

10-15min walk from hilton to main restaurants in Karon etc seems not too bad.Far enough for a nice walk on an evening.

£4 for transport down to Patong seems pretty acceptable to me to.

I`m sure breakfast at the Holiday Inn was something like £13 per person per night so ends up with the Hilton being like now over £350 cheaper than the Holiday Inn option.

I think it may be the Hilton and that way we can keep away from the hecticness of Patong and go in for a few visits at like £10 return.

I will have a look at that other hotel in Karon aswell. Can`t remember if we looked at that one.

Thanks again.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,881 posts
1,772 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

I stayed at the Centara Karon. After our evening meal I used to walk up to the Hilton and back to burn off the food. Along the promenade you could hear bad karaoke singing from the various hotel bars that would keep me entertained.

I paid 400 Bahts to Patong. 300 Bahts for the return trip.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

Karon in March will be lively enough and not some sleep town. The Hilton is just across the beach with sea views from it and is a very very nice hotel.

Do a search of some pictures of Karon and Patong. Patong is very tacky and such a bad representation of Phuket.

I used to work out at the gym at the Hilton and just always enjoyed to walk on to the hotel grounds. YOu are not isolated and there are many restaurant options walking distance...

Patong is only 15 minutes away.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

Plus the walk from the Hilton to the many restaurants & bars along the beach road is flat ground. If you wanted to walk in the other direction from the Hilton to Kata Centre where there are more restaurants,bars&shops then there is a bit of a hill.

But not too bad.

We always look forward to a good walk home after a big meal. CJ

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

Unless you are getting a discount for a weeks stay at one, why not stay at both ? Gives you the best of both worlds. 4 days Hilton (depending on when you arrive, one day is lost), 3 days HI.

It's only 10 minutes drive to the HI from Karon, it's really no hassle changing hotels. How long to p[ack a suitcase ?

We stayed at 4 different places in 11 days last trip.

Scotland
Level Contributor
54 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

Thanks for the info and replies. Much appreciated.

I think we have now pretty much decided on the Hilton as it sounds perfect.

Had to laugh at wildo........How long to pack a case...???? You ovbiously don`t know my other half..A full day normally is the answer by the way,and i`m not joking.

9. Re: Help with hotel decision.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 06:16