We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

silly question someone has to ask it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Topic
silly question someone has to ask it

has anyone recently travelled and noticed passengers wearing breathing masks on plane.

victoria
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

I'm certainly not wanting to start another long thread on H1N1. I think you need to look at practicalities, I for one will not be spending 12 hours flying with a mask on ! My advice, if in doubt ask your Doctor

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

Only the Lone Ranger.

victoria
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

It was only time !!

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
972 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

I flew last week.

Out of about 200 people on the plane.

only One family (Muslim) were wearing the masks.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

Saw one person, on the whole plane when we flew back last month. She was an Australian. Her husband didn't bother. We all thought "how silly" . Later I thought, maybe she HAD the flu and was trying to protect us !

victoria
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

Maybe she was the Lone Ranger's Mistress !!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

We travel through Guam alot (we live in Micronesia) and you see so many people wearing masks (mainly Japanese tourists) that you feel kinda remiss in not wearing one (and this is before all the swine flu scares). The last time I transited through Guam I would say 95% of people were wearing masks (besides us Aussies lol) and that is when the swine flu broke out in Mexico.

I have packed masks for my kids because we live in a developing country and seriously if I hear someone hacking up a lung I will make them wear it as I would prefer my kids not to catch any illness that they don't need to as the health care here is substandard to say the least.

I guess it comes down to doing what you are comfortable in doing. don't worry about what anyone else's opinion is, do what you think is best.

3 days til we leave to Phuket!!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

ive asked this question because i have spent the last 2 days in bed with a virus,painful earache and i have caught it somewhere,so i dont want to end up on holidays sick as you do catch things thru air conditoners etc,anyway was curious to see if any one was wearing a mask,so pls dont mistake me for the lone ranger when i fly out .

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

I hope it's a proper medical mask, like they give you when you visit infectious patients, otherwise you will not get proper protection. Your dust mask from Bunnings wont help you.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: silly question someone has to ask it

Far out Anna - hope you get the earache sorted before you fly or descending is going to kill you.

Last flight I was on I was massaging my kids heads whilst someone was sticking needles into my eyebrows!