We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong Bar Closures

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Patong Bar Closures

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Just to let people know the bars in Patong will be closed for 48 hours from tonight.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
On The Roof by Novotel Phuket Kamala Beach
££ - £££, Bar, Italian, European
Metzo's Bistro
££ - £££, Mediterranean, Grill, Lebanese
Luca Cini - A wine story
££ - £££, European, Italian, Wine Bar
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong Bar Closures

That's interesting news Athena...

Tho' reading more articles about the 30 drownings already for 2009 is incredibly frightening and unfortunately the last drowning won't be the last...

The Thai government is asking the resorts to inform their patrons of the dangers of the surf in Phuket...

What the..??...I am sure the resorts reception staff are not experts in the surf...??..

Bangla closed for a night last year for someone's birthday...??..

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong Bar Closures

" . . . the bars in Patong will be closed for 48 hours from tonight."

I am not sure that is 100% true. In that online newspaper, yes, but true - probably not. I have read that the government is "asking" bars and entertainment venues to "cooperate".

Usually in Phuket, where there is a will (or a few baht) - there is a way.

Hopefully others will report back.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
839 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong Bar Closures

Glad we left Patong yesterday! Apparently it is to recognised a local buddhism holiday/event????

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong Bar Closures

Yeah, you can usually get a drink, I've even seen the cops drinking on the alcohol bans - but out of coffee mugs.

I just thought I'd let people know in advance to save them getting "stuck".

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,441 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patong Bar Closures

I posted this about a week ago. Great for tourism, especially as they only announced the closure last week and so gave people a lot of warning, but of course TIT.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong Bar Closures

: )

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong Bar Closures

Happens occasionally and usually for good reason, i.e. the King's Birthday and religious occasions. Hotels and restaurants can still serve drinks etc though.

The one closure that intrigued me though on one of my visits is when the bars closed for the local council election. Not though while peope were voting! Only for the results!

I soon found out why they stayed open for the voting when 'canvassers' (or whatever they call them) paid some locals 1000Baht (maybe it was 2,000) to go and vote! Presumably for the 'paying' ticket!

Patong
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong Bar Closures

"Happens occasionally and usually for good reason, i.e. the King's Birthday and religious occasions. Hotels and restaurants can still serve drinks etc though. "

Incorrect, there is no alcohol sales allowed. Some restaurants and hotels will still serve but it is not so that bars have to be closed and others can just continue.

King's birthday: on request of the royal household bureau (read the King) the law against alcohol sales has been scrapped since a few years.

Elections: No alcohol sales from 6 PM the day efore elections until 12 midnight on day of elections:

Buddha religeous days: Nobody seems to know if the proposal made it to law....!

Patong
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patong Bar Closures

In addition. All bars etc closed today, very likely tomorrow opening as normal eventhough some bars might choose to close in daytime only.

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patong Bar Closures

So you can't drink for a few days, big whoop.

Or am I the only one who doesn't get total sloshed everyday of their holiday?