We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If it rains, can i still go to phi phi islands?

Leca da Palmeira...
Level Contributor
122 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
If it rains, can i still go to phi phi islands?

Hi,

Simple question, I'm going to Phuket for a short period of time and will only be able to go out to the islands on two days (on the 16 or 17 August), and I'm gessing that if it rains there won't be any boat trip leaving to the sea...

Is this true? Or can I still go out to phi phi if it rains, as it will must likely rain in this period?

Many thanks?

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If it rains, can i still go to phi phi islands?

Rain alone won't stop the boats from running, especially the ferry.

But high seas might (and probably should) IMO.

That's 3 weeks away. HOw do you know it's going to rain those two days?

phuket
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If it rains, can i still go to phi phi islands?

Hi All,

It's Jenny here from Simba and I thought I would reply to this question as many people seem to ask it.

Firstly, I would agree with fiddledude, it has nothing to do with the rain as to whether the boats go to Phi Phi but all about the sea swell (wave height) and wind speed and direction. The monsoon winds during the low season come in over the Indian Ocean where there is no landmass to stop the sea swells from building up (on some days 3 meters plus). This can make the 55 km journey to Phi Phi very rough. It also makes getting on and off the boat difficult especially on Maya Bay which has rolling surf most days now.

I know Phi Phi is a beautiful places and many people want to go there during monsoon season but before you book please have a look at the beach in front of your hotel. If there are large waves there, the crossing to Phi Phi will be rough.

Most boat companies use windguru.com to predict the weather/ sea conditions. IMO if the sea swell is over 1.5 meters nobody should be going to Phi Phi. Of course, this is not true and many companies will take you out despite the conditions.

If you are traveling on the ferry rather than a smaller speed boat, it should be quite safe but still rough.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

Jenny.

3. Re: If it rains, can i still go to phi phi islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 13:17