We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aircon question

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Aircon question

this might seem a strange question and some may be thinking WT but with the aircons In the motel rooms do they stay on when your not In them, the reason I ask Is that the motel we stay at In Bali you have to put a lolly pop stick or a pencil Into a slot on the wall which keeps It going when your not In the room (maybe It's a cost saving thing).

Thanks In advance for your answers.

Cheers W.

canberra
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Aircon question

Most of the hotels I have stayed in use a plastic keycard (as opposed to a key)which goes into a slot inside your room and activates and runs the power. If you leave the room, you remove the card and the power cuts out...which means no air con while you are out of the room.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aircon question

Thanks jik26 yeah I'm aware this Is what they do but what I should of asked was can you put something Into them to make them stay on.

Cheers W.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
982 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aircon question

Hi

Any credit/loyalty type card will work to keep it on,

I keep an out of date loyalty card with me for this purpose so that if the maid takes it away I1m not at a loss although generally if they do remove it they will leasve it in the room.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,341 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aircon question

Hi,

Most of the newer control systems only accept either your hotels key fob, access card or similar and won't work with other alternatives.. In the end, it *IS* a cost savings-- and one that I can personally agree with..

If the room is going to be unoccupied for a length of time I see no reason why the a/c can't be shut off..

Most of your better central a/c systems can being to cool a room rather quickly.. Much as I don't leave the a/c running when no one is in the apartment, I wouldn't do it in a hotel either...

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Aircon question

Is your time so precious that you can't wait a few minutes for the room to cool down when you return to it? Talk about a size 13 carbon footprint.

melbourne
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aircon question

Stay in a more upmarket room and they give you 2 cards (such luxury !). Other places will give you a second card if you ask for it and leave a deposit or credit card imprint. Don't stay on the top floor and it's really not an issue, the room is no hotter than outside, and cools quickly.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aircon question

Thanks every one for your replys, It's not a major problem I know the rooms cool down quick I just wanted to know If the hotels In Thailand were the same as some In Bali and else where.

Sorry If I have offended some posters with my question.

CheersW.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aircon question

Count yourself lucky you didn't say you were going to ride an elephant as well as leaving on your aircon. Otherwise, straight to Hell for you.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aircon question

I will do my hail Mary's tonight before I go to bed LOL.

Cheers W.

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aircon question

put an old phone card in the slot & it keeps working and for those hotels with the magnetic tab a fridge magnet works, and for all those self riteuos out there dont worry im going to hell anyway