We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

Is it worth looking at buying a laptop over there is

it worth the savings if there is any - mine is about to die so I'm not sure wether to wait until I get home - we are in Phuket 10 days and then Bangkok for 3 leaving this Friday

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,567 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

Hi,

There are several large "IT" malls in Bangkok that sell new and used laptops/desktops as well as parts (for a u-build it machine), software and accessories..

You'll find virtually everything 'computer' at one of the IT malls..

However, a few things to check on is the warranty (if any) on your laptop-- is it valid outside of Thailand? Also, if you buy software be sure to determine if it's a properly licensed product or an illegally produced copy. Some copies only work for a limited number of days or can be limited-use versions of the full product..

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

Hi Sharon and John, I would wait until you get home. Warranty would be bigget worry. Thailand has a tax on luxury items, and i think computers are luxury. Also, computers here have Thai text as well as roman on the keys.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

I would say the same, don't do it. It is not cheaper hear. I bought a mac book and it was so more expensive. Accessories and cables may be cheaper but not the computer.

I did buy a computer in Bangkok years ago but again I would say they are not necessarily cheaper. If you want to look aruond do it in Bangkok and not Phuket.

Go to Panthip Plaza.. lots of cheap computer accessory type stuff.. 5 floors of computer stuff!

Also customer service here is terrible so it may not be so easy to bring it back if you have a problem etc..

(just had a bit of a hassle at the Nokia Store 5 days after purchase).

I

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,567 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

Hi,

I agree with previous posted.. There are several large IT venues in town, but unless it's a locally manufactured item, most of the pre-made laptops and desktops are expensive when compared to "back home" and not cheap enough for me to make me want to buy it here.. (and take the warranty risk on a brand new set)

What I *do* buy here is all my blank CD's and similar media.. Any kind of computer peripheral that I may ever need.. Those items are cheap here..

If you're inclined, it is possible to do a "build-your-own" computer; and you can buy literally everything you'd need to do it at the larger IT malls-- but again, unless that's your specialty, I'd wait till I got home..

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

Considering warranty issues and prices: buy back home.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

I would buy in Australia due to warranty issues - as per previous posts. However, buy it within 30 days of leaving and take with you and claim as duty free on way out of the country. We did this a couple of years ago and saved heaps.

Lou

7. Re: Has anyone purchused Laptops & Computer Gear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2010, 06:17