We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Substitute driver

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Substitute driver

I emailed Mr Sam to book an airport transfer to Twin Palms in August. He replied that we might get his friend to pick us up if he has a tour booked on that day. I see on his calender that we are the only booking that month. Is this usual, I can understand that he would want the better paying job, but we would be booking him for the airport return and for a day sightseeing. Do the other drivers recomended on TA send substitutes.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
909 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Substitute driver

I can only speak for the guy i use and if he is booked, he'll tell you.

But i think you must look at this from his point of view and picking up someone from the airport can be done by others who perhaps don't speak English as good or are trained in tours.

I don't know this Mr. Sam personally but always try to look at things from all angles.

I would find nothing wrong with his possible substitute for an airport transfer.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Substitute driver

Hi,

I have used Mr Sam many times and he is a lovely genuine person. He has been upfront in explaining that he might pass on the airport transfer if someone wants a tour with him. I would think that if he has no tour he will pick you up. If you book a day tour with him it would be Mr Sam and this would not be passed on. Drivers and guides in Thailand do not make a fortune and every penny counts with them especially in the low season when there is not as much work around.

Julie

3. Re: Substitute driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2010, 06:18