We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exploring on motorbike

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
exploring on motorbike

I'm sure many of you have hired motorbikes and just explored the island of Phuket, is there any places where i should definitely go, hidden beaches etc.

Thanks In advance

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
890 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exploring on motorbike

I would start with the west coast.

Try not to miss Nai Harn beach and Lam Prom Thep and between the two you'll see the windmill hill which has an awesome scenic view also.

And try to catch the road between Kata and Nai Harn that is considered the back way (turn left just before Kata Noi beach)

There's so much to see all over the island.

I've put 40,000 kms on my bike in the past 5 years and still go exploring to find new roads and new neighborhoods.

It's a big island

Have Fun!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exploring on motorbike

Go along the entire west coast, it just keeps on getting better the further north you get. Laem Sing between Kamala & Surin is a stunning beach, although touristed to within an inch of it's life. The best by far is the road from Cherng Thalay to Naithon, on a sunny day truly spectacular. While in the Surin - Cherng Thalay corridor slowly explore the back streets between the two. The quiet roads on the east coast through the villages are great too, you get a sense of calm and the true Thai way of living to a degree most people won't see. Don't be afraid to go down any road, the island is small and you don't have to go too far to get back on to the main drag.

Most importantly, ride slowly, pay attention and be prepared to stop in an instant.

Good luck.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exploring on motorbike

The Big Buddah on the mountain,great views.WEAR YOUR HELMET,and bring your drivers license

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exploring on motorbike

Some cautionary words: Although many renters won't ask for it, Thai law requires you to have an International Drivers Permit valid for a motorcycle; check your travel insurance as you may find exclusions relating to motorbikes; and, be aware that the accident rate for motorcycles in Thailand is very high.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
67 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exploring on motorbike

Could someone please advise as to prices for hire? I'll be in Patong for 5 nights in September.

I rented a bike previously in Krabi for THB150 per day. Also, are other size/capacity motorcycles available?

Cheers.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: exploring on motorbike

In Pattaya 1000baht a week,Phuket 500baht for 3 days

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: exploring on motorbike

You can get all size bikes I have hired larger bike when there but have found for all round use just hire one of the larger scooters large bike and bad roads not a good way to go look for 150 cc scooter they are still ok with 2 up.If you hire for more than one day at a time 150 bt.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: exploring on motorbike

Hi,

We rented our scooter in Karon Beach and paid 1100 baht for 6 days. They gave us the choice to hand in a passport as security, or to give a 5000 baht deposit. I've written about it extensively in my blog, you're welcome to take a look at the link below. Skip to day 3 :)

realtravel.com/b-155578-world_blog-honeymoon…

Have fun and travel safely!

Michelle

San Francisco
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: exploring on motorbike

Be careful around Chalong circle,There is a policeman there that checks for Drivers license,and helmets.Usually on the way back,not going to the Big Buddah

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
492 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: exploring on motorbike

There are six GREAT Island Drives here:

phuketdelight.com/Best_Island_Drives.htm

Car or motorbike - it doesn't matter. Take your time, stop for a nice Thai lunch and motor on down the road.