We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hello!

My wife, myself, and 2 other friends are planning to vacation Phuket from Nov 16th to 22nd.

All 4 of us have never been to Thailand. We hear Phuket is a great place to visit.

I have read over 50 pages on Tripadvisor's Phuket forum, and still reading. :o) There are some great advice and very helpful people in this forum.

Im hoping somebody can guide us to the right direction to chosing location.

All 4 of us enjoy dancing and drinking at night. We enjoy relaxing in the day. We want to avoid areas where there is a higher amount of "paid girls".

Can somebody please point me to a beach I should be booking my hotel? Iv noticed in this forum, many people comment some beaches are too quiet and too hectic. If we had a choice, we would like a hotel near a more "hectic" area. lol. The reason Im asking this question, is we would like to have allot of fun, and if we can, avoid go go girl type areas.

There seems to be some differences in types of beaches we stay. Can somebody write a quick coles notes of each beach? I have the basic idea, but because Iv never been there, its a little difficult to picture what allot of people are referring to with the different beaches.

Thanks for reading my post and if you replied. Carmen, Arthur, Cathine and I greatly appreciate your input.

Si,

San Francisco
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Go to Karon bch.10 or 15 min.from Patong or Kata bch

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Idea of budget could help too.

There are quieter areas of Patong (I think) which still might work for you.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess we would like to stay in a nicer hotel in the range of 100-300 U.S. per night.

After that, we would probably like to move to another place with a budget in mind of under $100.00 per night.

Is that enough info for further guidance?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Patong Beach. Or split your stay between Patong Beach and another, quieter beach.

People around the world have the wrong impression of the Phuket of today. It has very much shifted to the family market, with the sleaze still there if you want to look for it. Even Patong is now mostly about shopping and eating and beach play.

The girly bar section of Patong is pretty much limited to one street, Bangla Rd. There are some massage places scattered around that have girls out the front at night, but it's not hard sell or particularly sleazy. I found it less confronting than walking past the tailors ! In other areas, it's not that big either. Apart from Bangla Rd, I found Kata Beach far more obvious in it's (short) girly bar section. You could not avoid the (very attractive) girls (I'm pretty sure they're girls) as you walked past the roadside bars. Verrrrry attractive...OUCH ! - (kidney punch from wife looking over shoulder).

Canadian types should definitely stay in Patong for your first trip. Other beaches are only a short tuk tuk trip away, and very cheap between 2 couples. You need to state budget for hotel recommendations, as you are heading into High season. If you want to go the last weeks of October, you will make a huge saving. When booking, push whoever you go through to give you the pay 2 stay 3, or even pay 5 stay 10 deals available in October.

Enjoy !

San Francisco
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, Patong beach sucks,Karon bch is beautiful.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Si,

Patong beach is the place to be to fulfill your needs.

Once inside the resorts you would not know what is going on around the place as they are generally quiet but step outside and your right in the thick of it.

Patong beach is only around 3 Kilometers long and about 1 klm wide so you have the opportunity to walk to any of the bars, clubs or restaurants without having to worry about transport.

If you choose to do some day trips its also a central location to Phuket and there are travel agents everywhere.

The beach itself is not exceptional for swimming at different times of the year but it does always look nice. If you wanted to spend a day at a beach its a short distance by Tuk Tuk to Kata or Karon.

If you need any more info just send me a PM.

Cheers,Pete

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Si

I think that because it's your first trip you should probably choose to stay in Patong if you are wanting to be 'where the action is'. The great thing about staying in Patong is that you can have the best of both worlds in that once you are inside your hotel/resort you are in a quiet tropical paradise and then when you are up to some hustle and bustle(?) - some drinking and dancing - some shopping and batering - it's right outside just waiting for you whenever you are ready.

Having said all that - my husband and I and our friends are shortly going over to Phuket and will be staying in beautiful Karon Bay. The reason? A vivid memory or rounding a bend on the road on a tour when we were there some years ago and seeing a beautiful stretch of white beach and azure blue ocean! Next time we went we had to stay in that bay which we did last year and we loved it so much that we are staying in the same resort this year when we travel with 8 of our lovely friends to celebrate my 50th birthday http://www.phuket.com/karonbeach/. Another benefit is that it is a short tuk-tuk ride into Patong when we feel the need for that vibe (which isn't often actually).

Anyway, I would recommend Patong. Look around and then decide where you'll stay next time (because there will be a next time. I'm sure you will fall in love with the place as I have).

For information on the actual beaches you should check some of the sites that are often referenced on this site - start with Jamie's Blogspot - …blogspot.com/2007/02/beaches-of-phuket.html

Make sure that you also pay attention to advice on 'expats' sites and on this site where they lament the failure of people to pay attention to flags indicating rough conditions and dangerous rips. http://www.phuketreviewer.com/

there are plenty of bars that are not 'girly' and it's easy to tell the difference, believe me. Email Richard from NZ rfdunedin@ymail.com and request his booklet - it's very informative for someone who hasn't been to Phuket before and really does give lots of detail about Patong and advice on what's what with regards to everything (including the 'girl' bars which are really not scary as long as you know what is expected of you with regard to buying drinks - Richard's booket tells you! Thanks Richard.)

But most importantly - relax and enjoy!

Andrea

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

The replies are exactly what I need to help plan our mini vacation.

9. Re: Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2010, 06:19