We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr dar 71

melbourne
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Topic
jbr dar 71

Ok what a trip the 10 of us left melbourne on the 31st of july to bangkok.Staying at the siam siam design hotel it was very nice walking distance to MBK on the sky rail right next door.Had 3 days there did the norm Grand palce,floating market,chuta chuk market That is one crazy market full on the weird and wonderful it is a huge market with every thing you can think off.

Now in phuket staying at the horizon patong its an ok hotel nothing flash small enough for us 2 big pools small kids club and a swim up pool bar......

first day just layed around the pool and went to the pink ladies for a massage.That nite we went to a local BBQ restaurnat 130bth all you can eat they had every thing from rice to hearts and lungs all your veg over 100 diffrent things.its out next tesco just behind it we had a blast...

Day 2 in phuket

Morning started with a swim then breakfast and then off to an elephant ride the cashew factory that has changed a lot not as good as last year?? we stop to go to the loo at a pearl factor it was quite good and cheap (as we never go to any or those thing while we are there)but this 1 was ok no pushing to buy.then it was of to lunch near the zoo down on the water.i had prawns and hubby had lobster rice and the kids had a dish each a few drinks and the cost was 2500bth the lobster was fresh as we picked it but didnt taste that great..

on our way back we stopped at the shooting range as all ways the kids had a blast our 6yr old girl shot a gun this year.dinner by the pool

Day 3

full day out with captain Mark (alicea)took us as mark was on hoildays.

Great day we were the only ones on the yatch as there was 10 of us.when we got on board the smell of the food cooking was like a dream i wish video cams could pick up smell.any way we had some friend chicken as we saild out to Phang Nang bay

looked at a few caves swam.brought some prawns from a long boat for lunch,we sat on a beach and had the best soup it smelt divine and tasted even better then we head back to the main land we were out for approx 7 hours money well spent.Dinner that nite was of the street.

Day 4

shopping shopping shopping just local didnt buy much as l all ways buy on the 2nd last day just check out whats around then go back first thing in the morning and buy all my stuff from the 1 person get a better price that way.My 16yr old girl went to jencolynne Can not remember how to spell it but you all no what i mean. she got 15 pairs of shoes in the 2nd building right at the end this shoe store is funky all the colours of the world they were from 250bth to 600 bth from casual to high heels and boots.

dinner that nite was at song pee nong 2. the best lobster i have every had just with garlic butter we had 9 dishers the price was 1800bth with drinks

day 5

woke up dreaming of the lobster i have to go back there for lunch or dinner to nite i can still taste the lobster.day of relaxe todayWent for a walk down to the bridge on the beach road to show my friend the long boats comeing back from fishing on our way back seen a sign all day cocktails for 80bth.its 9am in the morning what the heck we are on hoildays stopped and had a few and a few more still dreaming of this lobster we orded scallops for brunch as we had, had a few drinks and need food. they were just as good as my lobster the nite before. These two restaurants do not have seafood on display maybe thats the key to good tasteing food.early afternoon we stroll back to our hotel for a nana nap. Off to song pee nong 2 for dinner again had lobster in a cheese sauce it was just as good it was 2.5 kg for 800bth that nite we went to simons its still a great show year after year. hubby took kids home and the girls it bangala road what a hoot my friend had never seen a show so yes i took her to one too funny she went so red in the face it looked like she was on fire.....stay turned for day 6 2moro

cheers dar

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
986 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr dar 71

Hi Dar

Great JBR!! can`t wait for the next installment. Hope you are feeling better after your giardisis!! never heard of that before but you are the fourth person recently to come back from Phuket with it!!

Must find out where that lobster restaurant is as hubby is a bit partial!! although I unfortunately come from the home of really picky eaters and hate anything to do with fish or seafood!! how I wish it wasn`t so as I feel I am missing out on something but the smeel and taste just makes me want to chunder!! Cod fish fingers are about all I can handle lol!! Looking forward to the chiken satay and sticky rice with mango though.

Roll on the next chapter. BTW thanks again for checking out the Inn on the beach for me.

Joan

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
986 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr dar 71

Apologies for all the typos in that reply!! I`m not really illiterate!!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
102 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jbr dar 71

what an awesome jbr!!! loved reading it, soooo looking foward to going in 3 weeks time yeha!!!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
789 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jbr dar 71

Can you tell me where the Song Pee Nong restaurant is? Also the bar with all day 80bht cocktails - hubby loves them so of course I help him!!!!!!

Will be in Phuket in 2.5 weeks yay. Cheers, Karen

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jbr dar 71

Hi Dar,

Good JBR thanks for sharing, The day out on Captain Marks boat is just awesome isn't it, when you described those chicken wings i could smell and taste them again.

The lobster or Painted cray that you talked about is good if you have it in a sauce or moray but its tasteless by itself, i have been told this is because the Cray's are vegetarian only eating sea grass and seaweed so if your a seafood lover the large Prawns are always good.

Looking forward to the next part.

Cheers,Pete.

melbourne
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: jbr dar 71

80 bth all day cocktails is at the bliss hotel there front bar thats on beach road.if you are out the front of the hoilday inn faceing the beach turn left walk town the street (stay on the hoilday inn side)cross the road on your keep walking cross the road again and its the 2nd hotel its called the Bliss they have a black board out the front.We went throught the list then picked our favs.also try the scallops there the salad and the i think it was grilled scallops.Song pee nong 2 is just past the christian massage center( its a big pink building) walk past there stay on the same side i think its just a few more shops on the corner there is a mini mart and an arabic restaurant its down that lane if you ring my friend that lives in phuket he will be able to show you 076354528. just tell him the restaurnt were jennifer gos and give him the name as he will remember.as i said it was the best lobster i have ever had as i went back 4 times for it/

cheers dar

wish i was going again but not until next year enjoy those cocktails and watch the sun set on the beach

melbourne
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jbr dar 71

the cocktails are at bliss hotel on beach road

8. Re: jbr dar 71

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:18