We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

South Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Day 9 – Back to the early starts again (have you started to notice a pattern in our holiday schedule?) We took the dive bus to Chalong Pier to meet the dive boat. Headed to Raya Island for 2 dives. The dive company have something called “Discover Scuba”. It’s for those that don’t have a licence where you can still dive but be accompanied with an instructor who pretty well does everything for you except breathe. Anyway, although anxious at first, I thoroughly enjoyed the day and won’t leave it another 15 years to dive again. We were in for a real treat. Lots of fish and coral to see – the water was extremely calm and visibility about 15-20 metres. Decided we deserved a massage afterwards, so back to our favourite girls, then back to the Red Onion again for tea. Another fabulous meal. Oh, you must try their banana splits...but only need to order 1 as they feed two.

Day 10 – as strange as it sounds we were approached at Simon Cabaret a couple of days earlier by one of the ushers who asked whether we needed a taxi. Anyway we arranged with him to pick us up today at 9am and taking as out for the day for 500bt to go shopping. Yep just shopping, no sightseeing. Off to the factory outlets first – Nike, Adidas, bags, shoes, clothes, clothes, and more clothes. We spent a couple of hours there (well worth it) before heading to Big C, then Festival shopping centres. For those that have been to Phuket you’ve probably heard the cars that when they reverse, it sounds like an aeroplane taking off. Anyway Grant wanted to get one of those “things” which we managed to at the Big C – there are a few market stalls outside which sell car gizmos. 500bt for two of them and he was a happy camper. It’s also at this point we decided to get another camera to replaced the waterlogged one which we did. Night time we went to Fantasea – enjoyed the show although I don’t really like animal circus type things. The acrobatics and the special effects were well done.

Day 11 – last day today (and a sleep in). Final shopping done in Patong, back to the tailors to pick up clothing before packing. Managed to get a late check out and we needed it as we needed the time to try and squeeze the shopping in the bags. Daj and his assistant met us at the lobby to take us to the airport – Daj explained he had airconditioning problems with his car so his assistant would be taking us instead. We appreciated his honesty so off to the airport we went.

So, back 24 hours now and the weather in Adelaide is cold and miserable. I am already missing the lovely weather, the food and all the wonderful people that made our trip one to remember. We did a lot of researching for the trip, but not a lot of booking before we went, and I’m glad we did it that way. I’m also really happy with the Hilton and glad we stayed at Karon Beach, as you’ll see from my posting that we’re not in to the night club scene. We had no trouble from any scammers or Police – I was conscious of all of that, and grateful all went well.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice over the months, it really helped make our trip a fun one.

Linda.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
389 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Terrific report thanks. You sure fit a lot into your holidays and make a fellow South Aussie feel a touch lazy! But good on you. You've inspired me to make a few more plans before setting off at the end of Sept. Can't wait.....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Hi Linda great JBR I think you'll need another holiday to get over the one you just had .................LOL.

You certainly seemed to fill In your days with tours etc,glad you both enjoyed you stay.

Cheers W.

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Fantastic Linda. Thanks so much for sharing.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your jbr it was very informative and you seemed to cram so much into your time there.

Cheers, Pete.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
276 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Great JBR we are leaving for Thailand for the first time in 3 weeks time and staying in Karon at Centara we also are doing Simba trips for PHang Bay happy to read you had a great time. Enjoyed all your notes on shopping can't wait.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Hi Linda

Thanks for a great JBR I have been following your reprots as we go in October and I've found them full of useful info. Do you ahve a nam/ number for the driver you used for your shopping tour?

Lorna

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Thanks again for your JBR's, we were over there late June/July and agree about not booking that much before you leave home (especially low season). Last trip we went in school hols and high season and booked our major tours etc before we went and although it was good knowing we were doing things the days we wanted, we didn't realise till this trip just how regimented we had made our holiday. I've hidden inside today and spent hours reminiscing from our photos of both trips. I hate the rain, but I suppose it's a good thing.

Lee

Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Hi! i'll be in phuket in sept and i cant wait! great JBR and where are the factory outlets located?

South Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Hi Lorna,

To be honest, I probably wouldn't recommend the driver we had for the shopping day. Although he was cheap, I didn't feel comfortable with him. As it turned out, when he came to pick us up, he wasn't the driver at all, but the passenger, and had arranged a friend to do the driving. The worst part was that whilst we were shopping, we left bags in the car and I always had a nagging feeling that would they still be there when we got picked up.

I don't have his details with me at work, but if you really would like them I think I may still have them at home. Personally, I would book Daj or his assistant (as per my first posting) as they would be wonderful.

Linda.

South Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Linda & Grant's JBR - Days 9-11

Hi Wendy,

The outlet mall is located north of Patong - I think it's in between Patong and Phuket Town. We seemed to pass it regularly when we were getting taken on tours. It's not something easy to get to I don't think unless you have a car. There were about 50 shops there and hardly anyone was there the day we visited. Many shops had sales on - just need to be aware that an item might be on a 50% off stand, but the price displayed on the ticket already has the 50% discount taken into it. Don't assume you get another 50% off when you take the item to the register. Hope that makes sense.

Happy Shopping!

Linda.