We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

Llanelli Wales UK
12 posts
Save Topic
Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

May sound like dumb question but does anyone know what the milk is like? I've had milk in Phuket before (in coffee and cereal) but can't remember what it tasted like. Will be visiting in February and my daughter may still be drining milk for breakfast and before bed. Just worried about the taste. Is it available in most convienience stores?

Any info much appreciated.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

Hi,

As an American, I find it to be on the "creamier" side than say a 2% milk-- but that's strictly my personal take on the taste.. The Soya milk on the other hand tastes to me much sweeter than any traditional milk..

One of the largest dairy producers in Thailand, Dutch Mill makes a variety of milk-products.. All should be readily available at most convenience store or general grocery outlet.

You can see their line-up here:

http://www.dutchmill.co.th/products.asp

Travel Safe,

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

I find the taste of most of the milk to be unpalatable. The best is the Foremost - they do full cream and light and the other is the Nestle milk in the pink bottle.

The Dutchie yoghurt is delicious, by the way, especially the coconut or the mixed fruit.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

If you don't mind long life milk, depending on how long you will be away, take it from home.

I always take skim milk for my tea as I can't stomach full cream milk.

But having said that, I have never had a problem with the milk we are served at breakfast, I just don't have it in my tea.

Lindy.

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

We've always taken long life milk from home also for our kids. To be honest it's right there in your suitcase and you don't have to make the effort of going to a supermarket and trying to find one, especially when you have a toddler with you.

When you first arrive, all you want to do is unpack and relax, not run around with kids.

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

Nonsense about having to take long life milk with you etc etc.

Thailand has a perfectly good dairy industry here that includes fresh milk from the cow's udder. All milk is pasteurised as in accordance with health ministry guidelines. No different from the Uk or any other country that has a dairy industry.

You will find fresh milk at most 7-11s, minimarts and supermarkets in Phuket. Anywhere from 250ml - 2L sizes.

The main brands are Chokchai, Foremost, Meiji and Dutch Mill brands. However i point out that only the Chokchai brand is made from milk direct from the cow's udder, the rest is made from milk powder and reconstituted. This doesn't detract from the quality of the ,ilk though. Remember most 100% fruit juices are reconstituted from juice concentrate.

Dutch Mill brand was implicated in the melamine scandal a year or so ago but it was found only in small amounts in their flavoured milks only.

Chokchai now advertise their milk as 100% pure from the cow and as such their share of the milk market has increased significantly.

All the dairy farms are located about 2 hrs NE of Bangkok. In fact most you can visit for tour. All are joint ventures with well respected European dairy comapnies and as such their production standards are just as good as home.

Of course you can buy UHT milk and soy milk products if you prefer. Generally you have to get them from supermarkets. Some soy milk drinks are available in minimarts and alike.

bkk3

bkk3

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

I agree with bkk3, I am a huge milk drinker, sometimes well over a litre a day and the milk here is as good as anything I buy in Australia, full cream or skim.

Cathy

Llanelli Wales UK
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

Thanks for all your great advice. Will do both and take long life and try the local brands.

Thanks again - you all put mind mind at rest.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
864 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

This answers my questions as well!!

Don't think I'll bother packing more than what is required for perhaps the first 24 hours

9. Re: Buying milk for 2 year old to drink

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 05:26