We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time, need recommendation for a beach to relax ...

Norway
4 posts
Save Topic
First time, need recommendation for a beach to relax ...

Hey, it's the first time we travel to Thailand and thought at first to stop in Bangkok to be there for 3-4 days then go to Phuket to be there for 2-3 days (in town) and then find a nice beach near the area , for just relax. If you have any recommendation let me know? But I am a little afraid of the weather. It looks like it only rains there! So where do you recommend to go to get some sun? We will be there from third to seventeen September.

Regards

Flamur

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Melbourne
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time, need recommendation for a beach to relax ...

Well it is the wet season I believe until end of October so your bound to get some rain.

When we were there Nov 08 it rained a couple of times but only for short periods & the sun then came back out. The rain can sometimes be a nice change if you find the heat a bit much sometimes, I know it didnt bother me.

We mainly went to Patong Beach as it was right outside our hotel but we also hired a scooter for a couple days & enjoyed exploring & finding some quieter beaches.

Enjoy your holiday, we will be back there in Nov 09.

Mentioned in this post
Patong Beach
Patong Beach
13,515 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time, need recommendation for a beach to relax ...

see this, quite informative:

http://www.phuket.com/island/beaches.htm

You say "stay in town" ? If you mean in Phuket City, don't bother, there's nothing really to do there, apart from a little shopping, and you are already going to Bangkok. Spend all your time at the beaches. Phuket city will be only a 30 minute drive away from almost any beach.

Kata Beach is nice. Stay at Kata Beach resort in a deluxe room.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
6,646 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Beyond Resort Kata
Beyond Resort Kata
1,670 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
966 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time, need recommendation for a beach to relax ...

If i was looking for a beach to relax on away from the crowds, I would hit some of the many smaller gems around the island.

Ya Nui (near the windmill at the southern end of PHuket) is a good one.

Kata noi is another good one heading north.

There is a small beach that i don't know if it has a name between Kalim beach (the next one north of Patong) and Kamala. It is off of a side road. I would use Google earth to find it if i were you. It is a bit rocky but very remote and you'd never know you are on Phuket.

Nai Yang is a very nice beach near the airport. The only problem there is the sound of planes landing and taking off.

There are many more. Look at the island through google earth or google maps and pick almost any of the smaller ones on the west side. (there are some very nice ones on the east side too but not at low tide.)

Mentioned in this post
Ya Nui Beach
Ya Nui Beach
406 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Kata Noi Beach
Kata Noi Beach
2,446 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kalim beach
Kalim beach
67 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Kamala
Kamala
Phuket, Thailand
Nai Yang
Nai Yang
Phuket, Thailand
Norway
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time, need recommendation for a beach to relax ...

Yes I thought Phuket City, sorry for my bad english hehe I have also taken a look at the Phi Phi Island, is there anything good? And yes, we can withstand rain, but I hope not to have to be indoors half of the day because of it and strong winds.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
942 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
5. Re: First time, need recommendation for a beach to relax ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 06:23