We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute bookings Dec-Jan

Melbourne
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Last minute bookings Dec-Jan

Hi,

I was in Phuket in June/july this year and are looking at going back again Late Dec/early Jan this year. The prices are looking like being 3 times what we paid in low season! I understand that it is high season but just wondered if from experience anyone knows if the hotels do discount rooms at the last minute or are they fully booked being peak season??

Cheers

Kate

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute bookings Dec-Jan

It really depends on if you want a specific hotel/ area or prepared to take what is available. I have checked over the last few years and there has always been rooms available at cheaper prices at the last minute however they have never been at the places we want to stay. So we infact booked our accommodation in July.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
986 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute bookings Dec-Jan

Hi Betty

I think with the credit crunch you may find more available this year but its hard to tell at this stage as the hotels are probably still hopeful of full occupancy. I had the same problem as you having been in Low Season I could afford v luxurious hotels but I had to reign my horns in to go at Christmas and just accept I couldn`t do the same then. Having said that with a lot of research I found a really nice boutique hotel in central Patong that I was happy to book. The upside of Xmas is that the weather will be so much better the room/hotel becomes a little less important whereas in low season if the weather is bad its nice to have luxurious surroundings to relax in.

If you decide to go for it I think you will have a great time, and won`t it be great to compare the whole high season/low season thing.

I`m off to Portugal tomorrow to get a last blast of Med sun to tide me over til xmas but am looking forward to Phuket more!!

Regards.

Joan

Melbourne
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute bookings Dec-Jan

Hi Joan,

lucky you off to Portugal - enjoy. i have been in late jan before and the prices are slightly better then however we only have annual leave between christmas and mid jan this year so are in peak season. It is def busier and more restaurants open in surin beach where we stay in january compared to low season.

have a great time in phuket at the end of the year

cheers

Dallas
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute bookings Dec-Jan

Last year rates came down in late November and again in late December (for January).

I waited and did very well (and by well I mean I paid $150 for rooms currently being offered for $700). However, I think that the "core" high season this year will be pretty full....ASIA is coming back strongly economically and folks that put off going last year will try to go this year. Since I have to fork over big $'s for plane tickets to get there, I'll wait and see what develops.....if things are slow they'll drop rates and we'll go.....if not then we'll go somewhere else.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute bookings Dec-Jan

I tend to agree with our friend from Dallas but I am not so certain that 'Asia is coming back strongly". Parts maybe but e.g. certainly not Japan.

In any case, the "high season" really revolves around Scandanavians and those in northern European countries and, of course, the UK who are seeking to "escape their winter". So demand pressure will depend on them. Mind you with all the low airfares offering .......!!

In NZ and Australia, our winter happily coincides with "low season" in Phuket (or as some are now calling it, summer) which, quite frankly, I prefer anyway to high season and not just for the lower (much lower) hotel prices.

The myths about "the weather" are just that and the sea conditions do not worry me. I like walking the beaches but I swim in the pool! And the beaches are much less crowded for walking in 'summer'.

At my age, I like to be comfortable too!

I had no problems getting accommodation in January 2008 and again in February this year when I 'dropped in' for extended weekends as a 'sidebar' to busines trips to Singa. There has been a lot of hotel and good guesthouse rooms opened in Phuket in recent years and that has obviously eased things a bit.

So, I would not rush to book as yet for the reasons given by other respondees unless you have that absolutely favourite place to book! Just pick out some places you might like to stay at and monitor them and/or keep checking direct by email.

Finally, a friend and I have put together a tip sheet over the 15 years or so we have been visiting Phuket.

It is a sort of 'quick start' for your holiday suggests places to go, places to eat and, of course, places to shop as well as information on things like drinking water, currency exchange and so on! Something to carry with you and totally non-commercial.

If you would like a copy, just email me: rfdunedin@ymail.com.

Cheers!

6. Re: Last minute bookings Dec-Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 06:22