We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

if you have 2 days to explore the city of phuket, would you get a driver to drive you all around? if so, to see what and where specifically?

wife and I will have 2 days to explore Phuket (staying at Marriot Phuket Beach Club) so just wondering if we should get a cab each day to drop us off at the "center" of town whatever that is, or if we're better off taking a day to just hang at the resort and then get a cab for one day to show us all around Phuket...any advice?

and if we DO need a driver, can anyone recommend a good one and what cost? and what are can't misses to see in just a day or two, the "must dos?"

thanks to anyone who responds!!

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

Phuket town is a great place to explore, but its easy to get lost. I would get a driver for 1st day, then hire motorbikes for 2nd day. There isnt really a centre to Phuket town...so would be hard to explain to a cab driver.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

WALK!! The interesting area of Phuket Town is quite small and I would get dropped off and walk and try the local eateries, hang out in a coffee shop, look at the architecture.

Art and Culture Magazine/Brochure. has a great little map with a self guided walking tour. Perhaps if you contact them you can get a copy or email the hotel and see if they distribute it. As it is a brochure and map aimed at tourist we have plenty of free maps here in the hotel I work at. YOu can see a copy and even enlarge it online here:

artandcultureasia.com/upload/map/PTM_map_3_p…

Have fun!!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

hmmmm one of each, one says cab and one says walk...we would LOVE and PREFER to walk the streets, walk the areas to really EXPERIENCE it.

BUT, are wat chalong or the buddah temples within walking distance of each other, AND/OR within walking distance of the areas we would want to explore on foot, the cafes, shops, get a massage, etc.?

thanks to all who respond!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

Hi,

Wat means Temple, so Wat Chalong is a Buddhist temple. Wat Chalong is near the Big Buddha and they are not walking distance to each other nor to Phuket town.

By the way Phang Nga road has lots of local art galleries. There are small temples, more Chinese style in the heart of Phuket Town, which is where the map I linked to has the self guided walking tour.

Enjoy!

5. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 15:51
Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

Hi jdro, the map link posted does show a great walk, so don't be persuaded by me, I take mororbike everywhere, because i am lazy, and because its hot. My guess the route shown is about 5 km.

Walking in Phuket does have does have dangers, however. Pedestrian Crossings are a waste of paint, and are ignored, pavements are extra lanes for motorcycles to go against grain in one way traffic systems, the pavements/drains are not level and have chunks missing.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

i assume the big buddha and wat chalong are worth seeing? and thus, it might be worth it to get a driver to tour us all around 1 of the days?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

Hire a driver for one day. The places mentioned are all quite some distance apart.

We hired a driver. Our day trip was as follows:

Collect from Hotel (at Karon) at 9.00

Drive to Kata view point (yes, great views!)

Drive to Promthrep cape. More great views, small market, elephant temple, light house.

Drive to Rawai beach (we had to make a detour for my sister to visit chemist for stomach craps(another long and funny story)

Drive to big Buddha. Fantastic views. We were lucky enough to be there on Queen's birthday. Much celebration going on.

Drive to cashewnut factory - a bit touristy, but ok

Drive to local shops in Phuket town for look around

Final stop - Phuket markets. Fantstic.

Back to hotel at 6.30

We could have stayed at Phuket markets much longer, but my kids were getting very tired and grumpy at that point.

Bottom line - we got a great snapshot of southern Phuket. As first time visitors it was a great introduction to Phuket. No doubt some places I would not visit again. Some I wish we had included (like Wat Chalong).

Our driver (Mai) Had a lovely clean airconditioned minivan (there were 6 of us) and spoke English quite well. Most inportantly he was a good driver.

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

wow thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate it!!

Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: to see actual phuket town/city/culture, need a driver?

Jeff - we've also organised Mai so will let you know.

Heehee Brio- pedestrian crossings being a waste of paint - I will have to use to my Rome method of crossing the road - find a local and have them between you and oncoming traffic!!