We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rain in thailand between half august/first week september

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
rain in thailand between half august/first week september

Hi,

We were in Thailand last year (end of April, first two weeks of May) and we had a lot of rain. Not only an hour in the afternoon, but really from 11.00 until the evening, and in several parts of Thailand, from North, Central to South.

Therefore, this year we went to Bali in August and had a great time, without rain.

But I understood that sometimes the beginning of the raining season (May) gives more rain all day than the real raining season (August/September).

Can you pls share your experience with rainy days, only for August/September, and pls tell me which part of Thailand it concerned.

Of course we don't have problems with some rainy hours, but like last year, when we had more than 6 rainy days (all day) out of two weeks, it is really too much (we have bad weather enough in Holland).

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Sylvia

brisbane
Level Contributor
505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

Sylvia..search 'weather thailand' its very easy

There is no predicting weather.

Rainy season is rainy season..it might raid or it might not..I was there all June and it rained lightly only twice...every day was hot and dry..

All you can do is look at averages ..30 year averages say thyatept is the wetest month followed by October then May...Driest is February..Having said that in rainy season it might not rain for weeks or then again it might...

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

Yes, as above, its unpredictable except that you can be guaranteed some rain during that period where ever you are, as it is monsoon season.

In the last few years April has seen a lot of unseasonal rain, and that seems to be associated with changing weather pattens.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

Good afternoon,

Thank you both for your replies. I understand of course that there is nothing so unpredictable as the weather...

I will still think about going to Thailand in August, or going to Bali like this year.

Kind regards,

Sylvia

4. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 06:35
London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

You could try the Thai met office (www.tmd.go.th/EN/). It has some seasonal forcasts? Not sure if they'll be helpful?

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

Hi

we went to phuket last two weeks of aug this year and had a couple of rain days but you could still do the things you want to, what is a bit of water when you are have a great time

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

There was a lot of rain from around the 25th this year and it rained every day for long periods so id seriously think about a samui instead which is much drier, i had previously been in july/august and that was fine, i found this year it got a bit tedious as it was relentless at times. we had two solid days of rain and then it was on /off after that and i undersand continued up until about a 1 weeks ago .

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

It varies a lot depending which area you go to, these are the Thai meteorological departments averages over a 30 year period of average rainfall per month:

August / September:

Phuket / Phi Phi / Krabi area: 272mm / 417 mm

Koh Samui / Tao / Phangan area: 105 mm / 113 mm

Hua Hin / Cha Am coast area: 95 mm / 115 mm

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

hi, we went to phuket from 20 August to 29 august, I got a good dose of sunburn on the first day (dumb) and was pleased to see rain after that. Actually it did rain quite a lot I felt while we were there, but I heard that it was slightly better at the beginning of the month. We still had a very nice holiday though and you can always go shopping and do other things when its raining. Everyone says Koh Samui has the better weather at that time of the year and I'd probably consider that if I was to go back again.

10. Re: rain in thailand between half august/first week september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2010, 04:17