We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rates getting better - advice please

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rates getting better - advice please

The baht is risig against AUD - up to 29 now

Even more so USD is up to 87

Any advice on whether to buy USD - not sure how the baht measures up against USD or AUD.

Thanks

Mari

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

If you buy US$, you'll have to change them into Baht - you'll lose twice in the transaction. Change your AUD for baht after you arrive here. the Best rate is almost always got here.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

dragonc

the advice I was seeking is crystal ball. At the moment USD is high 87.5 against AUD. Not coming for a month - could be back down to say 78 by then.

Do you have a crystal ball???? Big :)

Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

Dragonc is correct - the best exchange rates are normally in Thailland not Aus. We were in Thailand last Oct and are returning in three weeks - yes we've considered getting some baht from here in Aus but unless it hits 30 the amount you pay to have the A$ changed to baht I don't think it's worth it.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
797 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

Had a look into my crystal ball and I see you going on a long journey in about a month. At this time I think the aussie dollar will be a bit weaker against the greenback - my ball says about 82 to 84 cents to the dollar. If my ball is correct then this would relate to an exchange rate of about 27.7 THB to the $AUS.

Now here is the rub - you can currently buy THB from my generous friends at Travelex on-line at 26.67 baht to the dollar (Who says that scams only occur in Thailand?). By buying $US and then changing to THB you will (as previously mentioned) cop a double whammy.

My advice - leave your money in the bank until you go.

Disclaimer: This is only my opinion. There may be people with bigger and better balls out there who you should consult.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
846 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

HI Marijka,

I'll give you a hint!!

Not even the head of the Australian Banks have a clue what the currency rates are going to be in a month.

That's because the price in a month will be based on events and news that are yet to happen. Everything the world knows already is reflected in the currency price.

When you see the "Chief Economists" making their prediction - it's a load of codswallop as they are rarely ever held to account by the media who's focus is day to day. They premise their predictions with so many assumptions as to make it worthless.

My two cents

Thailand
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

Hello, Mari

From my opinion, you should exchange your currency (AUD) to my currency (THB) in Thailand. It is better way which you exchange twice from AUD to USD and then USD to THB. When you arrive at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, this airport provides many banks which you can exchange your money.

However, your would to visit http://www.superrichthailand.com/exchange.asp which I always to exchange my currency (THB) to others currency before I will travel to other countries.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

My advice as well Takkuto,as you will score a much better rate in any of the banks in Bangkok if you bring some oz money with you.As for the predictions of U.S, dollar etc...Who on earth would believe or listen to these so called 'experts' now after the mess they got us into anyway?Ozzie dollar is up due to commodity prices on base metals shooting up in the last 6 weeks and expected interest rate hike in November by the way.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

The US dollar just went DOWN!

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

nah - it's been doing that for ages.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchange rates getting better - advice please

Never mind the AUD and the USD! What about the GBP?:>)